VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need for criminal lawyer-asap

My husband is in need of a criminal lawyer who helps veterans asap. He did something while ptsd symptoms were high and now needs criminal help. Before these charges were given we were working on getting him help with his ptsd, which I told him he should go get help as this will show he is trying to not make this mistake again. The VA referred me to VSO who could only refer for help with claims, not criminal. I've contacted my caregiver coordinator, social worker and the primary, with no answer. I need to get on this asap and I know there are lawyers who only work with veterans but have hit a dead end. Any help, is greatly appreciated! 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check with the Local Court that handles Criminal Cases, if there is a Veterans Court available, contact them for a list of Lawyers.

Has he been Arrested, Charged and processed yet? I trust he requested Legal Counsel before talking to the authorities, either for Fee or Court Appointed. What does his lawyer recommend?

Without an Official Private or VA Dr's past PTSD DX, attempting to get treatment before a Criminal Prosecution, could be viewed as an 11th Hour attempt to dodge the charge.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Not to be nosy  but what was your hubby charge with?

also does he CURRENTLY have a PTSD Rating and what  %?

My questions as well.Buck .......

we have had a few situations like this in the past.....but no one here is well versed in civil/criminal law as far as I know.

Gastone is right too

Other than specialized "Veterans" courts (and I have no idea if there is one of those in your area), I really dont think "VA" will be of much help with criminal law.  Yes, I understand your point about it related to PTSD, but your hubby is still likely to have to pay for any crime he may have committed, as well as the attorney.  (You do the crime, you do the time).  

I would humbly suggest he take responsiblity for any crimes he committed.  

Just completed my degree in Criminology - Veterans Courts are accessible through your county of residence, or county of arrest. They are called "specialty" courts. If unable to locate call your city services for assistance.