VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD C&P

Rate this question

marinevet1987

Question

I just had my PTSD C&P exam yesterday for an increase from 50%

Now, I know what I'm about to say is total speculation. No, I don't need you to tell me this stuff, because I know it is not 100% guaranteed. No, I haven't seen the final report, so nothing is final. But when he was putting stuff into his computer, he told me what he put in and went over it with me. So, based on this, do you think I could get a raise from 50%?

He said he put:
OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT WITH DEFICIENCIES IN MOST AREAS, SUCH AS WORK, SCHOOL, FAMILY RELATIONS, JUDGMENT, THINKING AND/OR MOOD

Depressed mood
Anxiety
Suspiciousness
Near-continuous panic or depression effecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively
Chronic Sleep impairment
Impairment of short and long term memory, for example, retention of only highly learned material, while forgetting to complete tasks
Disturbances of motivation and mood
Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
Difficulty adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like settiing
Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships

The two things I can't remember if he said, but may of said, were:
Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence
Difficulty inunderstanding complex commands

What do you all think?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

I think you may get an increase, but you never know. Here is 38CFR4 Schedule for Rating Disabilities for Mental Disorders I would hazard a guess of 70%.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships. 70
Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships. 50
Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events). 30
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication. 10
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication. 0

Tbird, I have 3 of the symptoms from the 70%, that would qualify wouldn't it?  Also, how do they expect someone that has near-continuous panic or depression to be able to hold a stable job?  I would think that that symptom would be in the 100% range.

near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;

difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting);

inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.

I second the 70% increase it won't be 100 unless he said total occupational impairment. Congrats on the increase 

• Founder

it's possible that they may rate you at 100% or IU.

I would think that that symptom would be in the 100% range. near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;

Though it makes sense, VA doesn't always make sense. It's just impossible to read the tea leaves.