VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Re-examination

Rate this question

Jar Head 0811

Question

Good evening All, 

I am service connected for PTSD (70%) and I recently tried committing suicide by getting drunk and taking 50 Tylenol PMs (I was in a dark place at the time).  My therapist wanted to have me committed, however there were no beds available.  I have since quit drinking and I am in therapy and taking medications, though it doesn't seem to help.  My therapist has also put me in an alcohol treatment program, though when I went and saw him it was like all my other therapy sessions.  I am scheduled for a re-examination soon and I am wondering what to do and what may happen.  Any and all comments are welcome and I appreciate all the help.    

3 answers to this question

You ever need someone to talk to I hated AA not saying it doesn't help just saying not my cup of tea. Always read up on the DBQ in case you haven't done so that may help but my guess is if all of what you said is documented you should have no issues showing total work impairment 

I keep going to AA. In the long run, it is a continuing program for support that nobody else can provide. Folks with substance abuse issues who get only therapy usually have about 25% shot at staying clean for over 2 years. Folks that combine therapy with the long term support AA provides usually have a 75%+ shot at staying clean for over 2 years.

I have been clean and sober for 24 years now.

Thank you all for the help, I have thought about AA but I don't do good in groups.  However, if you think it will help I will definitely give it a shot.  Thank you again for the advice and guidance.