VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is it OK for a VA therapist to be involved with Voc Rehab.

Rate this question

kent101

Question

I told my VA therapist about my difficulties at work. The therapist is asking the Voc Rehab coordinator questions for me. My therapist wants to help me do assessment test for Voc Rehab during our next session. I'm a little uncomfortable with this because it seems to be taking away from therapy. I could do the test at home on my own time. Is this a breach of the therapist responsibilities? 

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it your choice?

Beings a Voc Rehab Counselor and a Therapist are two completely different fields of study, I would be careful with this because if the therapist and voc rehab coordinator find your assessment is good , they will probably mention that your disability has improved...this leads to a reductions in benefits  as you will get a proposal to reduce. 

Although  you can fight them on it but its a headache.

If a veteran makes an effort to get out and try to be social but can't due to panic attacks /Anxiety  or just can't seem to cope and has to leave, the Therapist looks at this as ''good''or a step in the right direction,you gave it a effort  ect,,,ect,,, I highly disagree with that assumption.  it happens to way to many veterans including myself, and panic/high anxiety attacks are no fun what so ever.

No matter how hard I try getting out don't make me feel any better and when I have a Panic attacks it just kills everything the therapist talk to me about.

thats how I see it anyway?

Here is the deal:  If you want VA benefits, you have to comply with their rules.  If you want TDIU, for example, you have to submit to a Voc Rehab Assesment, if they so desire.  

There are 2 parts to VA:  VA medical and VA benefits.  To get benefits, you have to be in treatment.  (VA medical).  I understand your desire to obtain the work skills through Voc Rehab, but you have no choice but to comply with Voc Rehab.  

The Va "holds the golden rules" over our head:

1.  The guy with the gold makes the rules. 

2.  If in doubt see rule 1.  

The VA has the money, and you have to comply, pretty much, or get denied.  If we dont like VA rules, we dont have to accept VA benefits.  The VA has no accountability such as "customer service".  Instead, the VA's purpose is to make it as difficult and uncomfortable as possible for you to get VA benefits, so you quit.  MANY, if not most, do just that.  They give up.  

To get VA benefits, you have to fight VA..using their own rules.  The VA does NOT have to follow their own rules, they can make them up.  Remember there is no accountability, at least not until now, with the new accountability law.  Its a start.  They need to fire about 50 percent of the VA execs.  

Edited by broncovet

5 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Is it your choice?

Beings a Voc Rehab Counselor and a Therapist are two completely different fields of study, I would be careful with this because if the therapist and voc rehab coordinator find your assessment is good , they will probably mention that your disability has improved...this leads to a reductions in benefits  as you will get a proposal to reduce. 

Although  you can fight them on it but its a headache.

If a veteran makes an effort to get out and try to be social but can't due to panic attacks /Anxiety  or just can't seem to cope and has to leave, the Therapist looks at this as ''good''or a step in the right direction,you gave it a effort  ect,,,ect,,, I highly disagree with that assumption.  it happens to way to many veterans including myself, and panic/high anxiety attacks are no fun what so ever.

No matter how hard I try getting out don't make me feel any better and when I have a Panic attacks it just kills everything the therapist talk to me about.

thats how I see it anyway?

If they deny me voc rehab because of PTSD then does that help if I need to go on TDIU?

3 hours ago, broncovet said:

Here is the deal:  If you want VA benefits, you have to comply with their rules.  If you want TDIU, for example, you have to submit to a Voc Rehab Assesment, if they so desire.  

There are 2 parts to VA:  VA medical and VA benefits.  To get benefits, you have to be in treatment.  (VA medical).  I understand your desire to obtain the work skills through Voc Rehab, but you have no choice but to comply with Voc Rehab.  

The Va "holds the golden rules" over our head:

1.  The guy with the gold makes the rules. 

2.  If in doubt see rule 1.  

The VA has the money, and you have to comply, pretty much, or get denied.  If we dont like VA rules, we dont have to accept VA benefits.  The VA has no accountability such as "customer service".  Instead, the VA's purpose is to make it as difficult and uncomfortable as possible for you to get VA benefits, so you quit.  MANY, if not most, do just that.  They give up.  

To get VA benefits, you have to fight VA..using their own rules.  The VA does NOT have to follow their own rules, they can make them up.  Remember there is no accountability, at least not until now, with the new accountability law.  Its a start.  They need to fire about 50 percent of the VA execs.  

Thanks, I think my therapist is trying to help since I said my PTSD made it hard to function at work.

Kent, I've filed (4) different VR Program applications over the past 6 yrs, most recent was 2016, in order to get into the IL (Independent Living) program that is administered by the VR Dept.

If you're attempting to get retraining for employment purposes, which I was on my 2012 1st application, the VRC administer a battery of (No wrong answer) Employment Interests (Multiple answers, Pick one) Tests. This is usually done after you watch a short Video about what the VR Dept can do for you.

If your MH Condition, SC'd(?), makes working impossible, a VR Program might not be currently viable.  If that's the case, the VRC will issue a VR program Denial. Be sure to get a copy of the Denial Letter while you're there. Can be a Deal Maker for an IU Award.

Your VR Councilur (VRC) would also be your IL Counselor and will discuss what the IL Program can do for you, from a "Quality of Life' perspective. IL services could actually help you find a hobby that could turn into an Income producing venture, or at least make you feel better.