VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea secondary to PTSD granted but !!!!

Rate this question

Rootbeer112

Question

Hello everyone,

Just posting this question now after talking to Gastone in another forum. I have an NOD in from 2016, for PTSD and Migraines , both of which were denied in 2016 which is why I did the NOD. While being treated for my PTSD I was sent to have a Sleep study done as I have horrible sleep patterns, it showed I have Sleep Apnea, therefore I now use a CPAP machine etc... The head of Sleep at The Philadelphia VA as well as my provider filled out DBQ's for me as well as wrote Nexus letters stating that my OSA was directly related to my PTSD and PTSD Meds. I did an FDC and the VA connected it secondary to PTSD, so on ebenifits under the Pending Disbalities where PTSD is, there is an Arrow that says sleep apnea secondary to PTSD.

Here are my questions:

1. I have my NOD in for PTSD as well as Migraines and have DBQ's , Nexus letters etc... for both. Can they or will they still deny my PTSD if they have already connected my Sleep Apnea secondary to it.

2. If they do approve me a rating for PTSD, will I then be rated for Sleep apnea as well?

Any thoughts would help. thanks

Semper Fi

Sorry, but ebenefits is unreliable and I just dont want to do a bunch of analysis speculating on what "ebenefits" means.  You will just have to wait for the decision, and then we can give guidance, if requested.  

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

They are just piddle farting around they love to makes  us sweat or prolong our agony so we will worry.

Just hang in there and keep checking the updates on ebenny's

So from the looks of it does it look like I will get service connected for PTSD. As far as sleep apnea, I have Nexus letters from Head of Sleep at Philly VA as well as DBQ's stating it was caused by my PTSD, I am also on CPAP everyday.

I just don't know what to think

16 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Sorry, but ebenefits is unreliable and I just dont want to do a bunch of analysis speculating on what "ebenefits" means.  You will just have to wait for the decision, and then we can give guidance, if requested.  

OK Just didn't understand how they could put it as a seconday to PTSD when the PTSD is still in the NOD phase.

I'm interested in how this all works out for you. 

I recently put in a claim for both PTSD and Sleep Apnea from the effects of PTSD.  I was awarded a positive ruling on the PTSD, I thought I had a pretty good case based on my military records, tours of duty, and the evaluations over the years by VA and civilian doctors alike. 

The sleep apnea claim was denied because no link between service, PTSD, and my records could be found.  The last doctor who evaluated me for the claim told me that the VA rarely grants sleep apnea in connection with PTSD, because the VA would be going down a slippery slope leaking the two together (and she was right, it was denied). 

The Doctor told me to refile the sleep apnea as a stand alone claim because I had sleep apnea, had gone through through three sleep tests, and my post-military records are littered with complaints about sleep problems.  I had them in the service too, and personally I think my sleep apnea is in large part a result of my use of Mefloquine.  Again, a slippery slope tying one specific ailment, drug, or condition to another. 

So in my case I'm filing a stand-alone sleep apnea claim along with another geared towards Mefloquine side effects including sleep problems, and see what floats. 

Good luck to you. 

7 hours ago, DRD said:

I'm interested in how this all works out for you. 

I recently put in a claim for both PTSD and Sleep Apnea from the effects of PTSD.  I was awarded a positive ruling on the PTSD, I thought I had a pretty good case based on my military records, tours of duty, and the evaluations over the years by VA and civilian doctors alike. 

The sleep apnea claim was denied because no link between service, PTSD, and my records could be found.  The last doctor who evaluated me for the claim told me that the VA rarely grants sleep apnea in connection with PTSD, because the VA would be going down a slippery slope leaking the two together (and she was right, it was denied). 

The Doctor told me to refile the sleep apnea as a stand alone claim because I had sleep apnea, had gone through through three sleep tests, and my post-military records are littered with complaints about sleep problems.  I had them in the service too, and personally I think my sleep apnea is in large part a result of my use of Mefloquine.  Again, a slippery slope tying one specific ailment, drug, or condition to another. 

So in my case I'm filing a stand-alone sleep apnea claim along with another geared towards Mefloquine side effects including sleep problems, and see what floats. 

Good luck to you. 

I am just as interested as you haha. I have Nexus letters from my Psychologist for my PTSD as well as Initial and Review DBQ's for my PTSD. The DRO requested more information from her and she sent another 38 pages of treatment records to the VA so I hope that helps. I don't know what else I could possibly provide. Someone told me the fact the DRO asked for more information means they may approve the NOD. As far as the Sleep apnea I have a DBQ from the Head of sleep the Philly VARO and a Nexus letter from my provider at the VA, they linked it secondary to PTSD, I just need the PTSD to be connected. What do you think my chances are with that?

• HadIt.com Elder

I  Assume you do have a Diagnose from the VA for Sleep Apnea? & prescribe a C-PAP Machine by the VA Sleep Clinic? &Took the class instructions from the sleep clinic on how to use and care for the C-Pap machine?

If you have been S.C. for PTSD and taking medications ''certain PTSD Meds can be filed as secondary to PTSD  & If you have those medical records where the sleep Dr gives his opinion that it is likely as not your Sleep Apnea (OSA) is related to your PTSD Meds (name the meds)  then you have a 90% chance of getting approved for S.A.  Secondary to your PTSD.

Their probably needing those records that make this nexus to make the decision  so make sure they have those records.