VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA Docket Date "The Long Wait"

Rate this question

K Turner

Question

I am at the stage of Appeal to the BVA as follows:  notice of disagreement effective November 2015  w/Claim certified on 3/24/2016 and waiting for a non-video hearing as established in coordination with  Washington DC via the Winston- Salem, NC Region Office.   Currently, as of 7/20/2017, I am being told by customer service at the BVA in DC, "we are working on claims Oct 2013...."  

Question: what if anything might I do at this point? As it currently stands it could be another three years ( year 2020) before I receive  a hearing.   And although I am content and satisfied with my attorney, I am dis-heartened  that the only person winning here is my attorney drawing 20% of excessive number of years wait time.    Also my congressman is sympathetic but has no ability to do anything.  

I'm just 1 of  hundreds of thousands of veterans in the same situation.  I just cannot understand  how our Great Nation is allowing this to occur.   And  I do not believe this is in line with the Mission, Vision, Core Values & Goals of The Department of Veterans Affairs.  https://www.va.gov/about_va/mission.asp

4 answers to this question

I know how you feel. I'm still waiting for mine from 2014. The only way to speed the process is to file for hardship, and then you would still have to wait. I have been told they were working on Sept 2014 in Dec.  But keep getting pushed back due to remands. Sorry, it's going to be a waiting game to see if they start catching up.

You're not alone. Many times here our members will tell others to get a hobby or something to that effect and honestly unless your case gets advanced there is not much else you can do.

They are currently things going on that the Congress is supposed to be working on ( https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2288/all-actions?q={"search"%3A["congressId%3A115+AND+billStatus%3A\"Introduced\""]}&r=1&overview=closed#tabs ) to help the times but even if it goes well it's going to take VA a long time to implement changes. Sorry ? 

Thats about all I know I can tell you or anyone else that's wondering. Here's the link to check what month and year they're working on currently- https://www.bva.va.gov/CustomerService.asp

Look under the red line that says helpful information.

Your attorney is not "drawing" 20 percent.  Beleive me, they earn it.  How would YOU like being paid in 2020?  Representing Veterans as an attorney is far less lucrative than many other areas of law, that is why there are so few Veterans attorneys.  Social security lawyers collect a higher percentage in a shorter period of time.  

Its almost difficult to find an attorney who will represent you, wait 5 years, on the chance they will get paid 20 percent.  Im suprised how many attorneys there are who are willing to wait 5 years for their money.  Very few people sign up for a job they dont even get paid for until 5 years later, and then only maybe get paid.  

If being an attorney is so lucrative, you can go to law school in that 5 years and represent yourself.  Apparently Ben Kraus did just that.  

6 hours ago, broncovet said:

Your attorney is not "drawing" 20 percent.  Beleive me, they earn it.  How would YOU like being paid in 2020?  Representing Veterans as an attorney is far less lucrative than many other areas of law, that is why there are so few Veterans attorneys.  Social security lawyers collect a higher percentage in a shorter period of time.  

Its almost difficult to find an attorney who will represent you, wait 5 years, on the chance they will get paid 20 percent.  Im suprised how many attorneys there are who are willing to wait 5 years for their money.  Very few people sign up for a job they dont even get paid for until 5 years later, and then only maybe get paid.  

If being an attorney is so lucrative, you can go to law school in that 5 years and represent yourself.  Apparently Ben Kraus did just that.  

You point is valid.  And your tone concludes that it is not just our Nation Veterans who are being negatively affected. As I stated, I am satisfied with the results of my attorney. She is a professional and appears to be well-versed and I remain blameless of the legal profession. What is clear (and I hear your frustrations....in your response) is the "legacy appeal" process currently at the BVA is "absurd".    What we know is that this backlog is a direct result of the backlog of claims (600,000+) that were rushed- through (thrown-over-the-fence) the system in 2013.   Many of these claims are now in the appeals process.  This too shall pass.   Thank you for your  support and your reply.  V/r