VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bruxism secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Stick Slinger

Question

I went by the veteran services here and ask her to print off what ever was entered from the Severe Bruxism C&P from July 10th. It was in there and she printed it for me. It says under Pertinent Findings:

A note dated June 6th authored by Dr X X diagnosed the claimant with PTSD and symptoms attributable to PTSD which included severe bruxism and migraines. Also a letter dated April 17 2017 signed by ( a different Dr) stated claimant suffered from OSA as confirmed by a sleep study in Feb 2017. He was prescribed a CPAP machine to treat the condition, but is unable to wear it many times because of his anxiety and "feelings of suffocation"  secondary to the PTSD. The letter also stated that the claimant had suffered from Migraine headaches, TMJ disorder and PTSD since 1991.

Then the box was checked stating: the claimed condition is at least as likely as not ( 50 % or greater probability ) proximately due to or the result of the veterans service connected condition.

So now I guess I wait. I still am waiting for DBQ appointments for the Sleep Apnea, Migraines, and TMJ..

Thoughts??

The Wait is the Wait, not much you can do about that.

Any chance you could post a redacted copy of your latest DBQ and also of the future DBQs?

What's your current 30% SC for?

Sleep Apnea Claims are tough sells. What type of SA have you been DX'd with, OSA; CSA or MSA?

What did you claim as the Nexus for the Secondary Rating or are you claiming a "Direct" Service connection?

Semper Fi

You might be thinking about "conditions" and not symptoms.  Here is the deal.  Once you are service connected, the VA rates you on "symptoms".  You can not get paid for "symptom x" on multiple conditions.  

What are your "symptoms" for bruxism?  (Of course, I dont know what your symptoms are).   If you have no or few relevant symptoms, its almost always either denied, or rated at zero percent, regardless of what it is.  

I recall reading some months or even years ago of a Vet who had cancer that was service connected.   Most people, when they hear the word CANCER, that strikes fear.  However, since this cancer apparently caused no symptoms, it was rated at zero percent.  

This is true for almost any condition.  

I see this happen frequently with things like "depression", when a Vet is then diagnosed with "bipolar" disorder, for example.  If you were already receiving compensation for "depression" symptoms, you wont get an increase just because you were diagnosed with bipolar disorder UNLESS you have new or increased symptoms.  This is unlikely, since all mental health disorders are rated using the same symptomology.  

Unless you have some rather severe symptoms of your bruxism, then its probably unrealistic to expect much if any increase in percentages.  

I doubt that is what you want to hear, and your VSO might not tell you this.  But I think you should hear it now, rather than down the road when you get a decision.  

@broncovet Excellent summation & explaination between symptomatology/ condition, This paragraph can save everyone a lot of time in processing a claim. ( or not submitting a claim that will be denied) 

Everything is so technical when it comes down to it on the wording the examiners put down. When the rating people look at it I think they get overwhelmed at times and just either zero you out or low ball the percentage. I am surprised they gave you a copy or am I misunderstanding and this is not a VES exam?

7 hours ago, Gastone said:

The Wait is the Wait, not much you can do about that.

Any chance you could post a redacted copy of your latest DBQ and also of the future DBQs?

What's your current 30% SC for?

Sleep Apnea Claims are tough sells. What type of SA have you been DX'd with, OSA; CSA or MSA?

What did you claim as the Nexus for the Secondary Rating or are you claiming a "Direct" Service connection?

Semper Fi

I will try to scan it in the DBQ as soon as I can. The 30% now is for PTSD. I am suffering from OSA and sleep with a CPAP now. I submitted a letter from my dentist after breaking numerous teeth from grinding and I have fractures in several more. Also I submitted a letter from the Dr that I saw from the VA that stated I am suffering from severe Bruxism secondary to the PTSD. I also submitted a letter from my Dr stating the same in my TMJ DBQ.

I appreciate your feedback and hope I answered the questions?

7 hours ago, broncovet said:

You might be thinking about "conditions" and not symptoms.  Here is the deal.  Once you are service connected, the VA rates you on "symptoms".  You can not get paid for "symptom x" on multiple conditions.  

What are your "symptoms" for bruxism?  (Of course, I dont know what your symptoms are).   If you have no or few relevant symptoms, its almost always either denied, or rated at zero percent, regardless of what it is.  

I recall reading some months or even years ago of a Vet who had cancer that was service connected.   Most people, when they hear the word CANCER, that strikes fear.  However, since this cancer apparently caused no symptoms, it was rated at zero percent.  

This is true for almost any condition.  

I see this happen frequently with things like "depression", when a Vet is then diagnosed with "bipolar" disorder, for example.  If you were already receiving compensation for "depression" symptoms, you wont get an increase just because you were diagnosed with bipolar disorder UNLESS you have new or increased symptoms.  This is unlikely, since all mental health disorders are rated using the same symptomology.  

Unless you have some rather severe symptoms of your bruxism, then its probably unrealistic to expect much if any increase in percentages.  

I doubt that is what you want to hear, and your VSO might not tell you this.  But I think you should hear it now, rather than down the road when you get a decision.  

I guess my symptoms would be sore jaw, constant headaches, broken teeth? I am hoping the Bruxism diagnosis will help with the TMJ thatI am waiting for a C&P on. As far as severe, I have broken 4 teeth from clinching and started wearing a mouth guard at night to sleep. I am on my 3rd one now because I keep breaking them while sleeping. I had several crowns from broken teeth and have also broken crowns after they are installed. And like I said, I have no idea if there are any benefits to being diagnosed with severe bruxism, other than I hope it will help with my TMJ C&P.

thanks!

Edited by Stick Slinger