VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bruxism secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Stick Slinger

Question

I went by the veteran services here and ask her to print off what ever was entered from the Severe Bruxism C&P from July 10th. It was in there and she printed it for me. It says under Pertinent Findings:

A note dated June 6th authored by Dr X X diagnosed the claimant with PTSD and symptoms attributable to PTSD which included severe bruxism and migraines. Also a letter dated April 17 2017 signed by ( a different Dr) stated claimant suffered from OSA as confirmed by a sleep study in Feb 2017. He was prescribed a CPAP machine to treat the condition, but is unable to wear it many times because of his anxiety and "feelings of suffocation"  secondary to the PTSD. The letter also stated that the claimant had suffered from Migraine headaches, TMJ disorder and PTSD since 1991.

Then the box was checked stating: the claimed condition is at least as likely as not ( 50 % or greater probability ) proximately due to or the result of the veterans service connected condition.

So now I guess I wait. I still am waiting for DBQ appointments for the Sleep Apnea, Migraines, and TMJ..

Thoughts??

2 hours ago, Raza2009 said:

Everything is so technical when it comes down to it on the wording the examiners put down. When the rating people look at it I think they get overwhelmed at times and just either zero you out or low ball the percentage. I am surprised they gave you a copy or am I misunderstanding and this is not a VES exam?

They didn't give me a copy but the lady at Veterans services can pull it up and print it out for me. I had gone to a QTC exam with a dentist and the report above came from her report titled Medical Opinion DBQ in the system.

I had filed for jaw pain, and do have 6 entries in my SMR. RO stated that the symptoms are not the dx or the ratable illness itself. Said bruxism and such, if not actually dx'd during service, then can not be granted as a primary. However, since bruxism is usually due to MH issues, they would grant secondary to MH SCD. I now have PTSD SC, so I am resubmitting that as a secondary claim, with a copy of the Reason and Basis letter as evidence.

Some people get compensation for "headaches".  However, you will have to have Caluza elements linking your condition of "bruxusm" to the condition of "headaches".   The VA wont connect the dots.  Did your doctor say your "headaches" are at least as likely as not caused by your secondary rated condition, "bruxism"?  Maybe he did, but that would be required for you to get SC for "headaches".  

The symptoms of "headaches" usually involve:  

Does these headaches "prostrate you" (in other words cause you to go to bed).  If they do cause prostration how frequently and how long do they last are the criteria to which headaches are ususally rated, and how much they interfere with work.  If you call in sick because of migraines 3 tims a month, and the migraines make you go to bed for 3 days, then that is a symptom of your migraines and will be used by the rating specilist to give you a rating on "headaches" provided, of course, your headaches have all 3 caluza elements and are service connected.  You have to prove service connection, just because you have headaches, the VA wont naturally assume, "oh that must be because of his bruxism or PTSD.  Lets go ahead and service connect headaches also, secondary to PTSD or bruxism".   That wont happen, a doctor will need to specify that your diagnosis of "headaches" is at least as likely as not due to SC PTSD.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 7/28/2017 at 11:58 AM, Stick Slinger said:

I guess my symptoms would be sore jaw, constant headaches, broken teeth? I am hoping the Bruxism diagnosis will help with the TMJ thatI am waiting for a C&P on. As far as severe, I have broken 4 teeth from clinching and started wearing a mouth guard at night to sleep. I am on my 3rd one now because I keep breaking them while sleeping. I had several crowns from broken teeth and have also broken crowns after they are installed. And like I said, I have no idea if there are any benefits to being diagnosed with severe bruxism, other than I hope it will help with my TMJ C&P.

thanks!

My issues are almost identical to yours. Here is what helped me:

1. Ask them to make a thicker night guard. They made one that was about 3 or 4 mm thick and it really helped.

2. If you are using a CPAP mask which covers your nose and mouth, ask to try one for the nose only. I tried the nasal pillow and it didn't work, but last month got a new nostril one. That reduced the nighttime migraines because you do not feel like you are wearing a bear trap on your head. No more waking up to find the mask on the floor.

3. Talk with your treatment providers about therapy and/or medications which may help provide relief.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, Vync said:

My issues are almost identical to yours. Here is what helped me:

1. Ask them to make a thicker night guard. They made one that was about 3 or 4 mm thick and it really helped.

2. If you are using a CPAP mask which covers your nose and mouth, ask to try one for the nose only. I tried the nasal pillow and it didn't work, but last month got a new nostril one. That reduced the nighttime migraines because you do not feel like you are wearing a bear trap on your head. No more waking up to find the mask on the floor.

3. Talk with your treatment providers about therapy and/or medications which may help provide relief.

So I looked on Ebenefits last night and see I have been rated 10% for the Bruxism but nothing for the TMJ??

So I have not received any paperwork from the VA yet, but I was granted 10% for Bruxism secondary to PTSD. They did not rate the TMJ at all but it looks on E benefits that the looped it n or joined it with the Bruxism.. I will know more when I get my PW back from them,,