VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

treysnonna

Question

My husband put in a claim for ihd/aortic valve stenosis secondary to diabetes, in 2009.  It was denied.  I have been doing some research and in 2012, they  did test on people with diabetes and aortic stenosis.  And they found they produce a protein that enhances inflammation that causes a greater risk of stenosis of the aortic valve much worse and faster, than someone with out diabetes.  My husband had surgery to replace the valve in 13.    Now his cardio doc says they can hear the murmur again.  My question is should we reopen that claim, file a new one etc. I know sometimes the va makes you feel like your trying to dig up everything.   And it says it can cause  more thrombosis activity.  He did have an embolism in the lungs in 2011, which they could not determine where it came from.  The doctor did say it went thru the heart.  He really had a lot more fainting like spells, dizziness and falling, before he had surgery.  He still has them, but I don't think it is as bad.  But if the mur mur is back, it worries me.  He says he will not be operated on again for his heart.  He try's to mow the yard.  Our yard has a hill in the back.  I think they did this to be able to get more houses in here.  He was mowing a small section that can not be mowed with riding mower.  I always watch him, when he is doing it.   Well he fell and rolled down the hill. Scared me to death.  Had to run out help him get up and set in a chair till he felt able to finish it.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

treysnonna,

The easiest, and fastest way to get this resolved is to get a NEXUS letter from his cardiologist which MUST read that the "IHD/Aortic valve stenosis is more likely than not, secondary to diabetes", and file it as an original claim since it's been over a year from your denial letter for the condition.

Notice where the NEXUS letter MUST read ..."more likely than not.."?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

I agree with allansc2005.  There is a differnce between a medical research project that links "x" with "yP, and YOUR doctor stating that "x" caused "y".  The VA does not care what happens in the research, they have to verify what happened to "YOU", not the research group.  You have to have a statement from YOUR doctor that says its at least as likely as not YOUR stenosis is secondary to diabetes.  

You can point out to your doctor this research which shows a link, but he must make an opinion on "your" case, not the research group as everyone is different.