VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Member, had re-eval C & P at QTC for increase from 60% sc

Rate this question

sandiegonavyvet

Question

Greetings from San Diego,

I am a new member. USN 2000-2008. Worked in flight deck onboard carrier, deployed to Persian Gulf, OEF/OIF, Air/V-2 Launch and Recovery Flight Deck. Just had a question regarding my C & R exam at QTC. I am 60% sc Asthma already, and requested increase and added a new diagnosis of Bronchiecstasis, ABPA (Aspregilliosis), OSA (Moderate Sleep Apnea), and Anxiety. Doctor was very nice and I went prepared with all my records, all my medications. A week prior to my exam I had been placed on bed rest for 4 days due to an exacerbation, and the doctor at QTC told me I did not have to do the PFT as I was scheduled for it because I was really sick and wheezing. She said I only had to have my x-ray done and she will send the info to the VA. She said I already had a PFT less than a year ago, and she was actually the same Doctor that saw me in my initial C & P. She took a great amount of time going over future complications from my respiratory conditions.

I showed her new diagnosis of OSA, ABPA, Sleep Apnea, and Anxiety. I am taking Prednisone 20mg daily, Bactrim antibiotic every other day as prophylactic, Zoloft for anxiety, Advair 5/500, Flonase, Albuterol inhaler, Nebulizer, Sporanox for lung fungus, and CPAP machine at home, and I am now on Pulmonary Rehab. She went on to tell me that "in the future the Zoloft could cause erectile dysfunction, and the prednisone could cause other health issues with my bone density." She told me to keep an eye on that. Overall, I had a good experience, but then again, I was there for a reason and she saw that I am really sick.

My question is...How do you think I would be rated? I was at 60% for Asthma (with lung infiltrates, bronchitis). I was not on prednisone, no antibiotics, no CPAP before, (now I am) which is why my VSO advised to submit request for increase and new claim for other Dx. All my records have been provided from my PCP and all confirmed diagnoses and medications. Just waiting.

Initially awarded 60% in Aug 2016. C & P for re-eval was completed in mid July 2017, and now the waiting game.

Thank you in advance.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Of; course I dont know if your sleep apnea will be service connected or not, but if it is, it should increase your rating by 50 percent.  When you use a cpap, and are sc for OSA the rating is 50 percent.  If my guestimate math is correct, combing the 6o percent you are now, plus an additional 50 percent means you should go to 80 percent using the va math.  

Are you currently working?  If you are unable to work, then you should apply for tdiu.  

As far as the other conditions, remember that you wont get paid for any symptom twice.  In other words, if you have the same symptoms with asthma as you do with lung disorder, you get paid for that symptom only once.  

16 hours ago, broncovet said:

Of; course I dont know if your sleep apnea will be service connected or not, but if it is, it should increase your rating by 50 percent.  When you use a cpap, and are sc for OSA the rating is 50 percent.  If my guestimate math is correct, combing the 6o percent you are now, plus an additional 50 percent means you should go to 80 percent using the va math.  

Are you currently working?  If you are unable to work, then you should apply for tdiu.  

As far as the other conditions, remember that you wont get paid for any symptom twice.  In other words, if you have the same symptoms with asthma as you do with lung disorder, you get paid for that symptom only once.  

Thank you, broncovet.

Update:

My claim on E-benefits went from DOCUMENTS NEEDED FROM OTHERS: SUBMITTED, PENDING REVIEW, and today it turned into Request #2 DOCUMENTS NEEDED FROM OTHERS, PENDING.

I called the VA, and rep told me it was nothing needed from me, that they are now waiting for a Medical Opinion and that it is internal.

I did notice that my claim for Anxiety was turned into (secondary) with the Asthma, Bronchiecstasis, ABPA, Sleep apnea claim. So instead of 2 claims, it is one claim with all the medical conditions listed.

Just wanted to share the update, and see if you had any input. This site is the best thing that is out there for Veterans!