VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Weight of a Private Professional Psychologist Medical opinion

Rate this question

blackcloud

Question

What weight would a private psychologist have on my claim for PTSD. The VA keeps ducking saying it was due to childhood trauma. I am trying to get them to admit it exasperated any preexisting condition. I had a Top Secret Clearance from 92 to 96 and would (back n those days) NEVER received it with any hint of mental issues. I feel if I can get a professional to say this into my medical record I might have a fighting chance. I have been denied twice I think. Link for so many of us it has been a long journey... 

Thoughts?

Also does anyone know of a Veteran friendly Private Psychologist in South West Florida? 

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

@ JWMN89
My mother passed on 05-05-2012, (will the VA accept a printed Obituary or do I need a Death Cert?) 
My first time reaching out to the VA on this matter was on 07-09-2012 when things began to spiral out of control for me and my Ex-wife helped me get help from the VA because they helped last time. I stopped going for about a year ( from 2016 to 2017)  I felt like progress was being made but my health insurance will only pay for so much then I foot the bill. Having got divorced (because she could no longer watch me kill myself as she put it) I lost that support and income to make bills. Thus why I am seeking a service connection So I can afford the treatments. And I suppose I kept being reminded of what happened ever time I went there. I recently went back and I think I have 4 more visits left before I have to foot the bill. 

Edited by blackcloud

Your mother passing in 2012 and you seeking treatment shortly after for fire PTSD seems to be a definite timeline.  In your 2012 treatment did you talk about only your fire related issues or did you bring up the molestation as a child and the choking incident also?  Being involved in a fire "incident" with your mothers passing and then flashing back to your own near death fire experience and having PTSD seems very obvious.  

JW

JWMN89 made excellent points here.

It is a shame that you dont have the denial letters.

(your C file would have them and maybe even a vet rep might still have copies of them, if you had a rep when they denied you.)

Have you thoroughly accessed the internet via google for your ship's unit?

Have you posted the words Fire and the name of your ship into the BVA search web site?

I could do that for you with approximate date of the fire and the ship's name.

It is always possible that some other vet claimed this same fire for a disability and that decision might give you more info on the proof that it ocurred and that you were on the scene.

My daughter ( USAF vet, now with DOD NSA) helped a small group of vets ( same unit, same time and place Vietnam)get their proper  DD215 awards as well as proper SC comp. One of them provided copies of his award letter from the VA to all of them to use- as he was comped for PTSD as to the same incident they all were involved in. She translated a Vietnamese document for them. The vet who had found it in Vietnam was horrified as it had their SSA #s or service numbers on it.He thought it was a hit list.

It was an incredible statement from a high ranking south Vietnamese General, (verified)describing what each of these  men had done to save many lives in Vietnam that day. 

They all had PTSD from it, but only one had a PTSD award until my daughter helped them.

Google has made it far easier then ever to find proof of incidents in service, as well as to find buddies.

If you have a private diagnosis of any MH disability other than PTSD from this incident, and treatment records, and proof of what happened on the ship, that is when the VA will accept a private IMO.

Edited by Berta

Ship was USS Constellation CV-64

Fire date was Sept 24 1992 in Philadelphia

I am still searching the BVA ( I assume it means the Bureau of Veteran Affairs)

I am finding documentation of sailors who fought other fires onboard but none for the time frame I had fought it. So far. I am still searching. 

I found another reference for my fire online https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/09/24/Navy-probes-fire-on-aircraft-carrier/8539717307200/

It list 26 injured 2 hospitalized.

I found two persons on a crew list web site that mentioned either fighting the fire or being there. I have reached out to them for any info including anyone who may have been awarded a service connection. 

I do not have any IMO at this time. All treatment was thru the VA. 

I think I may have had a rep at the time. I will see if I can get a copy of my C file(s)  That of course will take time. But time well spent. 

To all, thanks for all the help! 

I am not giving up this time!