VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nexus

Rate this question

BuddyLoveAK

Question

I'm trying to understand what a nexus could be in my situation. I am currently diagnosed Bipolar 1 and my docs say it started in the Marines, but I was discharged with a personality disorder. My SOC essentially says my nexus is weak. In my military medical records I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder before it being changed to personality disorder. Is having the anxiety disorder diagnosis at that time a nexus? In my SOC they said there wasn't any sign of psychological problems, and thus the personality disorder diagnosis. My docs all concur that my bipolar started in service but was misdiagnosed at the time. Can someone please throw out some hypothetical examples of a nexus that would apply to my case so I can better grasp the meaning of the term and how it applies to me? And also if the anxiety disorder could be a nexus? I'm also currently diagnosed with anxiety disorder, should I apply for that now or wait for my bipolar case to finish? 

4 answers to this question

20 hours ago, BuddyLoveAK said:

I'm trying to understand what a nexus could be in my situation. I am currently diagnosed Bipolar 1 and my docs say it started in the Marines, but I was discharged with a personality disorder. My SOC essentially says my nexus is weak. In my military medical records I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder before it being changed to personality disorder. Is having the anxiety disorder diagnosis at that time a nexus? In my SOC they said there wasn't any sign of psychological problems, and thus the personality disorder diagnosis. My docs all concur that my bipolar started in service but was misdiagnosed at the time. Can someone please throw out some hypothetical examples of a nexus that would apply to my case so I can better grasp the meaning of the term and how it applies to me? And also if the anxiety disorder could be a nexus? I'm also currently diagnosed with anxiety disorder, should I apply for that now or wait for my bipolar case to finish? 

My Basically States

To whom it my concern,

My name is Dr. So and so and I have been treating Mr. blah blah for the last 10 years, I have diagnosed him with PTSD on Multiple occasions and it is more likely than not caused by his military service, one such example would be an aircraft crash he was involved in. He exhibits hypervigilance, outbursts of anger, insomnia, as well as many other issues I have also provided in my notes. It is my opinion that Mr. Blah Blah's PTSD hwas caused by his time in Military service.

This is in no way exactly how my doctor wrote it but it kind of sums it up how she said it so that there is no questioning it was caused by Military service in her opinion. Also she is a Psychologist doctor PsyD, not just a PHD which I think also helps

Thanks for the response RootBeer. PTSD seems a lot easier to find a nexus event for since everything is based on that traumatic event. I guess my problem is trying to establish a nexus for bipolar, which doesn't really have an "event" that caused it. It's like how do you find a nexus for schizophrenia? Is the diagnosis of another psychological disorder enough to be considered a nexus if over time that diagnosis changes? It's confusing me. 

How about posting a redacted copy of your DRO Review SOC? Also, a copy of the original Denial Letter and C & P DBQ would be very informative.

Evidently, the mandatory submission of New & Material Evidence didn't sway the DRO. It would be interesting to read the DRO's discussion of your post-Decision submitted N & M Evidence, could be quite telling.

Have you filed for a BVA Hearing yet? The clock is ticking, don't miss the Filing Deadline. You now have plenty of time to try and get your Sierra Hotel India Tango together, don't rush it.  Your C-File will remain at your RO for at least a year or so, waiting to get Certified to the BVA for Docketing. During this time, the submission of a Compelling piece of N & M Evidence (Expert Medical Nexus statement or Clinicians Treatment Notes) could possibly result in an Award by the RO Rating Dept regardless of the DRO Review Denial.

Just for our general info, WTF prompted you to go with a DRO Review rather than a DRO Hearing? What New & Material Post-Denial Decision Evidence did you submit for the DRO to Review?

Semper Fi

FROM A LAYMAN'S POINT OF VIEW ILL JUST SAY THIS,,, TRUTH IS UNFORTUNATE. YOU NEED TO LOOK BACKWARDS ON EVERYTHING... I ASKED DOC ONCE IF HE THOUGHT MY HIPS ARE SERVICE CONNECTED.. DOC REPLIED ,, WELL IM NOT SURE, WITHOUT MEDICAL EVIDENCE THAT WOULD BE HARD TO STATE SO I CANT GIVE YOU A LETTER OTHERWISE.... I REPLIED ,,, WELL DOC, DIDNT YOU JUST ADMIT THAT YOU CANT SAY DEFINITIVE? ANOTHER WORDS DOC CAN YOU SAY MY HIPS ARE NOT SERVICE CONNECTED? TO WHICH HE REPLIED,,, NO I CANT. IT WAS A VA DOC AND HE WROTE THE LETTER OF 50% YES/NO.....

BUT THAT STILL WASNT ENOUGH FOR THE NEXUS I NEEDED TO SPEND THE 5K AND GET THE IMO BUT IT WAS WORTH IT ALL CUS AFTER 8 YEARS I WON IT.

Edited by paulcolrain