VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

retired v VA comp in ebenefits ?

Rate this question

RetiringArmy

Question

Hi everyone! 

80% and filing another claim. I get to this on ebenefits....ummm,
Not sure what to click. 22 years active retired, already above 50% disability. I am sure I am overthinking it. 

Side note: i filed for an increase for a claim that was awarded, i uploaded the dbq from civilian doc and a statement from myself and my increase went thru in less than 6 days. Wow

Btw, 2 vso's and 1 yes and 1 no

The question in text format:

Do you want to receive VA compensation instead of military retired pay?  if it is determined you are entitled to both benefits and you want to receive VA compensation instead of military retired pay, select Yes. If you are awarded military retired pay prior to VA compensation , we will reduce your retired pay by the VA compensation amount. VA will notify the Military Retired Pay Center of all benefit changes. 

If you receive both military pay and VA compensation , some of the amount you get may be recouped by VA, or, in the case of VSI, by the DOD.

Thank you in advance

Screen redmon.jpg

I have seen that question on there when you are filing a claim on eBenifits.  I did collect severence pay when I left the service, however, I do not recieve any retirement pay until I turn age 60.

That said, the question does not work for me when I answer it correctly as it (the computer) can not comprehend that I have paid back my severence pay already when I first started using the VA compensation, etc,.  So, for me,  I just file out the VA filable forms and take them to my CVSO and let her file them with my VSO (VFW).

I will not use the computer (eBenifits) to file, because I can not answer the questions correctly and make it work and sure as heck don't want any snafu on my part.

I think the file on line is for when a Veteran is filing there very first claim.  In my case, filing for the first time in 2008,  I could have answer yes to the severence question, as they (the VA) had not recouped anything.

In your case, they are talking about "concurrent reciept", which at 80%, the computer dose not know what to do about correctly.  You will (should) get both your VA comp and your Military retirement.

I do read where if you answer that question the wrong way, you may be screwed out of some jack!!

Just sayin,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
damn spelling

• HadIt.com Elder

A couple years ago when I filed my last claim on e benefits, I  filed the ITF First and when I went to file the claim about 11 months later  I hit the wrong thing it mention was I filing an ITF and I answered yes  and then it ask me do I have a ITF on file I answered yes...all this did was created 4 ITF's seperate..grrrr

I made an Amendment  and it took off 2 Of the ITF's  and year later the other two were gone    drove me crazy to see those 2 ITF on all year.

Actually I wish I had another claim to file  I could have filed for Sleep Apnea but decided not to Since no more $$ in it  other than maybe if S.A. killed me then spouse can get the  DIC  but I think if a Veteran has been S.C. for ten years or longer  then it don't matter what the veteran dies from  his spouse should be able to get the DIC Benefit's

They have Improved e benefits  and in my opinion its the fastest way to file a claim b/c AND GET RESULTS its all on computer vs them reading or not reading snail mail and paper claims.

Some veterans go to their respected VAMC and get with a Myhealthvet clerk  to help file a claim  or their VSO  the clerk can show you how better to use ebenfits

My son is very good on a computer and he helps me a lot,  he helped me with the Amendment on e benefits.

JMO

You posted:

Do you want to receive VA compensation instead of military retired pay?

The answer here is a no brainer for me:  "Yes".   The reason is that VA compensation is non taxable while retired miltary pay is taxable.  

I can see "no good reason" to turn "non taxable income"  (VA) into "taxable income" (military retired pay) EVEN if you are not paying any taxes now, your situation may change and the tax laws may change but changing this will be difficult, so collect the max "non taxable" income you can.  

Of course, Im not retired military so there may be something I am missing here, so some of the retiree's may chime in here.