VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD/MST Success Story

Rate this question

TA0229

Question

I read a lot on the forums but have only posted once a very long time ago but I wanted to share my success story. Back in 1999 I was raped while on active duty. I was honorably discharged a few months later due to end of enlistment. I did a fairly decent job of coping and blending into society. Happily married, two kids, etc. My husband suffers from PTSD so a few years ago I guess he began to notice certain "signs" in my behavior. For years he tried to convince me to file. I said no because I didn't want to relive the pain. 

Fast forward to December 2016, I filed an intent to file for PTSD from MST. I sat on the file and again based off my husband's encouragement on June 4, 2017 I uploaded my police report, medical records, buddy letters, etc. On August 15, 2017 I attended my C&P exam. My examiner encouraged me to be open & honest. I told her I really didn't want to be there. She was kind, friendly, stern at times and the exam took 3 hours. I was emotionally exhausted and angry at my husband afterwards. 

Today, September 7, 2017, I received notification that I have received a rating of 50% for PTSD from personal trauma which brings me to a total of 60% total disability. More importantly my examiner explained various avenues where I can truly get the counseling I need. 

So I write this post in hopes that I encourage at least one person and show sometimes the daunting process does work. 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Yes, this is very encouraging to others. You definitely had the right evidence.

I know the C & P exam must have been very difficult for you to go through but you were given a thorough C & P and the examiner offered ways to gain future counselling  help.

I think sometimes the  very fact that VA acknowledges these very stressful MST  events, means more to the veteran than the monetary award. Still $  is the only way they can compensate you , because they cannot change what happened to you and I hope you can find peace knowing the claim  has been awarded.

Dont stay too mad at the hubby--he was right----!!!!! I could relate to that!

I too sat on a re-opening of a claim my daughter, a veteran, insisted I re openunder a different theory of entitlement.

I already received DIC under 1151 (wrongful death of my husband) and sure did not want to re live all of that again with a re open. Finally many months later , maybe even a year had passed, I did re open and she was right.

It was the most important claim I had ( and the most difficult one) but it  changed the wrongful death DIC into direct service connected death. I felt my husband finally had, in his death, Peace with Honor.

Enjoy this true Victory with your family! And thanks for letting us know about the award!

23 hours ago, Berta said:

Yes, this is very encouraging to others. You definitely had the right evidence.

I know the C & P exam must have been very difficult for you to go through but you were given a thorough C & P and the examiner offered ways to gain future counselling  help.

I think sometimes the  very fact that VA acknowledges these very stressful MST  events, means more to the veteran than the monetary award. Still $  is the only way they can compensate you , because they cannot change what happened to you and I hope you can find peace knowing the claim  has been awarded.

Dont stay too mad at the hubby--he was right----!!!!! I could relate to that!

I too sat on a re-opening of a claim my daughter, a veteran, insisted I re openunder a different theory of entitlement.

I already received DIC under 1151 (wrongful death of my husband) and sure did not want to re live all of that again with a re open. Finally many months later , maybe even a year had passed, I did re open and she was right.

It was the most important claim I had ( and the most difficult one) but it  changed the wrongful death DIC into direct service connected death. I felt my husband finally had, in his death, Peace with Honor.

Enjoy this true Victory with your family! And thanks for letting us know about the award!

Thank you Ms. Berta. It was hard but I'm grateful my husband made me take the necessary step. Also, while it is incorrect my backpay has already it my account. My husband and I were thinking that is lightening speed. So again I believe the process does work at times as it's supposed too.