VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC help

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So I'm planning for the worst financially and have really never thought about SMC before that was the least of my VA worries but now I realize being 100% isn't as all that much money compared to what I was making working living in my home was easy now a constant struggle monthly looking for the next thing to sell using Facebook to make ends meet with the wife. Now I am SMC S and I'm not greedy and I have no idea what to expect in my one pending claim for my increase of my TBI and PTSD, currently combined together at 70%. Now if or when they get separated and are each rated over 50%? Combined with my other disabilities I am at 190%, 90% scheduler, but if separated I will be at 100% scheduler P and T and over 200% disabled? I have never even looked into what SMC is all about in the 6 years I've been apart of this website other then posted them giving me SMC S

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

jfrei

being that your not bed ridden and can dress yourself and not need the care for a caregiver??  

Then your SMC S HOME BOUND or any other SMC for loss of use  if you have that?  then the SMC S HOME BOUND IS PROBABLY ALL YOU WILL GET  SMC IS PAID BY THE SEVERITY OF THE DISABILITY NOT BY THE % OF THE DISABILITY  BUT TO MEET THE CRITERIA THAT % MUST MEET THE SMC CRITERIA   OF AT LEAST A 100% RATING AND A SEPARATE RATING OF 60% OR MORE, THEY DO MAKE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE FOR THE SEVERITY OF THE DISABILITY.

Thats just the way it is  I don't think the VA Pays the national income average (unfortunately)  so yeah we all had to cut back &make Adjustments and live on what the VA Pays, for some veterans that is not a problem if their spouse makes a good & large income.

SMC Can reach as high as 8,755.00 monthly or close to that.  depending on the severity and the # of dependents the veteran has

Hadit elder member Asknod explains this SMC Payments and what it takes to clime the SMC Latter here on hadit...you may want to look it up here on hadit.

or check out this link

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/specialmonthlycompensation.html

Edited by Buck52

Yeha apparently the caregiver program has been under investigation at my local VA and is not taking any applicants at this time. I do require my wife's help for allot of things that we're presented at my  review of my sTBI with my wife present at the time since my memory is all but gone when it comes to short term memory department and using a gps she takes over other wise I've gotten the whole family lost for hours at a time and many times not a few or a couple. As much as I want to be the one who knows where I am going the only place I know for sure of is I will get us lost or to the destinations hours later. So my wife just makes sure she has the gps and I make the turns to get where we need to be. She is forced to work part time being I cant be trusted alone for numerous reasons...

Edited by jfrei