VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I Wasting My Time?

Seabee Wife

Question

My late husband, a 'boots on the ground' Vietnam Vet, passed away in 2015. His death certificate showed cause of death "Tongue Cancer." I have finally been able to get the death certificate amended to show PART I, "Squamous Cell CA Tongue" as cause of death and PART II, contributing conditions to show "Sepsis, DM2, and CVA.

The cancer is not on the agent orange presumptive list, however, DM2 is, and possibly soon CVA will be on the list. Since these two illnesses are only contributing conditions on his death certificate, will the VA award DIC or will I be required to jump through hoops to no avail?  My husband had never applied for disability. The DM2 diagnosis and CVA occurred after the cancer diagnosis.

Thank you for your time and input in this matter.          

Edited by Seabee Wife

The veteran in this post is deceased.

If AO DMII substantially contributed to his death, the widow here should attain DIC.

I can't seem to stay off Ebenefits. I'm so anxious. I just found this. It looks very promising. Tell me what you think.

I clicked on dependents and it shows the following:

Dependents on an Award

The following dependents are listed on your current award:

Table of dependents
Name Date of Birth Age SSN Relationship Award
Jxxxx Gxxxxxxxx   00/00/1900 0 XXX-XX-xxxx   Spouse                  Compensation

Of course, I've x'd everything out but does this mean they awarded the DIC? There are no previous awards so am I to assume this is for DIC Claim?   

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks promising to me! hang in there.

This is a widow’s grant of DIC by the BVA:

ORDER

Entitlement to service connection for squamous cell carcinoma of the base of the tongue (originally claimed as lung/respiratory cancer) as due to Agent Orange exposure, on the basis of substitution, is granted.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp15/files6/1550972.txt

The widow had a very strong IMO done to support the claim.

In this next case there were multiple VA and private opinions:

Consequently, the Board finds that probative evidence of record

indicates an etiological relationship between the Veteran's in-

service exposure to Agent Orange and his squamous cell tonsillar

cancer.  Therefore, resolving reasonable doubt in favor of the

appellant, the Board finds that a grant of service connection for

the cause of the Veteran's death is warranted.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp10/files4/1034280.txt

Although it was tonsillar cancer and not tongue cancer, and either one had a presumptive disability, still both of these

Veterans were exposed to AO and the medical opinions warranted a service connected death.

I too certainly hope the VA will award your claim.

DIC is listed and considered as Compensation (DIC =Dependency and Indemnity Compensation)

Service-connection for the cause of death.....IS GRANTED!

I give all the praise to my Lord and Savior...we had this deal...no matter what the outcome, I would still trust in Him to take care of me.  Savings dwindling, decisions were needed to be made regarding my home, etc. Unless something out of my control happens, I can now breathe.

I thank God for letting me find this site and for ALL the encouragement and advise. BERTA, you are one of God's angels. Without your advise and information, this would have never happened. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

I hope you are all smiling with me.

5a57fefb8f66d_PAUL5.thumb.jpg.9ab8331a105fd5700b8967157f86530a.jpg 5a57fefab4e98_paul3.thumb.jpg.98cf8f139638be1793a7fbde06cd422b.jpg

SEABEE WIFE