VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC S to L

Rate this topic

I am looking into how to make my S to an L. Just recently I was given 100% rating for a combined TBI/PTSD and if you sum up all my other disabilities it comes out to 70%. How or what are the requirements to make this transition?  I"m sure the RO will overlook anything they can just like my denial for the caregiver program for my wife because I was on 100% IU for my TBI rated at 70%. Which I believe now I may question there motive as I look into myhealthnet record and it also has changed from 90 to 100% P and T

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have loss of use of arms or legs?  When you get to higher levels of SMC above "S" you usually have to be pretty well disabled with a capital "D".  This I don't know so much about but I tried to get some help with making my house safer for me and was denied because I had all my limbs.

yeah  I have my limbs just the decisions I've made have given me several injuries that could have been worse that were due to my ability to make sound decisions. Its  why my wife cant work full time and she sure reminds me almost monthly when we are hurting for money trying to raise a family of 4 because I cant be trust alone for an entire day...

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you considered competent to make financial decisions?  I know where you are coming from being housebound.  Do you get SSDI?  You need to show the VA that you need aide and attendance so that your wife can work full time if it is necessary.  Can you dress, bath and feed yourself without assistance?  These are the sorts of things VA considers  for higher levels of SMC.    Is your wife eligible for caregiver benefit?  My wife worked for a few years after I became disabled, but I was 54 years old and no kids.   She retired but we could not get caregiver benefits since it is just for post 9/11 vets.

I have my hearing for SSA on Dec. 13 but I knew I was going to have to go to this way since I am so young. I was denied the caregiver because they stated even though my wife has to work part time its wasn't enough since my TBI was only rated at 70% and not severe enough for her. But now its 100% and I don't know how severe my TBI needs t be for them? They said you are eligible for classes but nothing else. My wife has her masters in health care shes more informed then they are but her college debt on top of only being able to work part time is what the financial stress is about. In my TBI review it list my social and occupational impairment as being deficient in most areas of working independently living. Can my new rating be used to reapply for the program?

Edited by jfrei