VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First C&P exam ever. What should I expect?

Rate this question

Organized_Chaos

Question

How's it going fellow vets,

I am writing in reference to my up coming C&P exam.  I submitted my claim on August 30 and just recieved a call from the VA to schedule my C&P exam for GERD/Hiatal hernia, Asthma and Severe Sleep Apnea.  I am currently rated at 30% sc for asthma.  Has anyone taken any of these exams?  What should I expect?  How can I prepare myself for the exam and questioning?  Has anyone had to deal with the VA hospital In Manhattan?  Just looking for whatever advise I can get, thanks.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Were you diagnosed or treated for sleep apnea while in the service?  Expect that if you don't have medial evidence in your military records that the VA will question if it is service connected, pre-existing or due to some non service connected cause.  How long have you been out of the service?  Just tell the truth.  Do you have private medical records for the sleep apnea and the GERD etc.?

I was diagnosed with GERD and asthma while still in the army 2002.  I just never knew you could claim GERD.  When I was diagnosed with asthma while stationed Germany, it was the first time i ever had any respiratory issues.  In my in service medical records there is evidence of me complaining of fatigue and sleepiness but the doctors diagnosed me with asthma.  They never mentioned anything about sleep apnea.  I didnt even know what it was until my VA doctor sent me to do a sleep study.  I just thought my sleep apnea symptoms where asthma symptoms.  The sleep study was at the VA hospital and my results were Severe Sleep apnea.  I also have a sworn statement from my roommate in Germany stating the fact that I didnt snore when we became roommates but as time passed, I began to snore loudly.  They used to joke on my snoring lol.  

OC

Do you use a CPAP prescrbed by a doctor?

I did a buddy statement for a Soldier I was with in Iraq.  We put him on night shift, so he slept during the day, because he snored so loud, LOL.  Anyway, he was service connected for sleep apnea.  Not sure if my letter sealed the deal, but I'm sure it didn't hurt his cause.

The sleep study will help also.  The biggy will be whether it (sleep disorder) started in service or not.  If they can say it started after your service, they will.  How long were you in the service,  from when to when?  Have you been seen by a private doc since regards your sleep apnea?

Good luck,

Hamslice

I served from 2000-2004 and my final 2 1/2 years were in Germany.  I do have a prescribed CPAP machine.  No I havent been seen by a private doc.  All my diagnoses came from the VA.  They are the ones treating me for my disabilities.  I also have submitted sworn statements verifying that I had no respiratory issues prior to joining the Army.

I was medically discharged from the Army for asthma (30%) a month before my ETS date.

I was waiting to see if anything gets denied and the I will hire an attorney.  Is this a good idea?

• HadIt.com Elder

OC

You mention you was diagnose by the VA for Severe Sleep Apnea and they failed to put on on a required CP Machine?  somethings wrong with this picture.

Man if you have Server S.A. You definitely need a C-pap Claim or no Claim.

if you don't have any documentation with OSA or any sleep disorders while in military it will be hard to prove direct Service connection.

However if you have a service connected condition that would cause you to have S.A.  With a VA Prescribe C-Pap Machine You can file a S.A. CLAIM Secondary to that condition..for S.A.

jmo

I do have a prescribed CPAP machine that i use every night.  I took the sleep study at the VA and the diagnosed me with severe OSA and gave me a the machine.  The CPAP machine works.  It dropped my AHI from 77.5 to 12.5.  In my army medical records these is evidence of me complaining about fatigue and day time sleepiness.