VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lumber l4/l5 spinal surgery

Rate this question

johnny1960

Question

Need advise please. Had  a laminiectomy L4/L5 done in 2016 at Tripler in Hawaii. Since that surgery my pain has gotten really worse and now I'm on wheelchair unable to stand for long periods, numbness  in my legs to my feet, pain from my lower back now to my upper back. I was awarded IU P/T no future examination, my over rate is 90. I have was denied house bound and just recently saw my primary doctor and he said I should ask for a increase for my back because of my continues pain. Will it hurt my rating... 

5 answers to this question

You should consult with your VSO on the specifics of your case because you may qualify for Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) for loss of use.  

See 38 CFR 3.350

Since your condition has worsened since your last rating, it is extremely unlikely that your VA rating will be reduced.  

With politician talk about removing IU when you become eligible for Social Security, you might want to consider putting in for a higher rating even if you do not qualify for SMC.  100% schedular is superior to IU.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good advice from @jlrith

I just had l3/l4/l5 surgery a few months ago. I too am suffering worse then before the surgery. My friends tried to talk me out of it, but I was so tired of the Pain, and allergic to pain meds. Well it did not work and now I need a complete fusion. I am so sorry that you are in alot of pain. I submitted a claim in October and the VA granted me Temporary 100%. I am currently rated at only 20% for the back, but was granted 20% and 10% for Nerve damage and numbness to both legs. You should always put in for an increase if a SC disability has gotten worse. I dont know why, but the VA does not like to give high %s for the back, even when we have surgery. Good luck and please keep us posted. God Bless!!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Navy04

Agree with your comment about the VA back rating %'s not in line with reality. If it hurts too bad to even make it to the bathroom, that should count as more.