VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dr Robert Coyle - Marine, VietNam Vet, PHD Psycholgist - Indiana

Rate this question

IMEF-Gunny

Question

As with all veterans suffering from ailments due to service, and especially PTSD, which can only be awarded after a VA employed C&P PHD level Psychologist opines a DSM5 diagnosis, we are often treated as liars, cheats and beggars by the very institution that has sworn an oath to assist us.

I recently had to pay for a private, un-biased, 3rd party IME in order to battle against the VA’s railroad job on my PTSD claim. Because they ignore facts, do not follow their own laws/statutes and 99% of the time re-diagnose PTSD as some other issue, it seems we all must travel this road more often than not.

I will be honest, I can more easily afford an IME than many in this situation, I have been blessed to work for an outstanding company, so I feel much more for the guys/gals who struggle with mental illness or physical ailments and can barely survive, let alone pay $1,500 for an IME/IMO because the VA refuses to do their duty.

This has never been about money for me. This is about honesty, integrity and the VA/Government acknowledging that GWI, PTSD, etc is not imaginary, we are not beggars, liars & thieves and we will not allow the shameful representation that plagued our Vietnam veterans (denial of agent orange) to happen again!

Many times, by VA, private docs and Vet Center, I’ve been told “Desert Storm, OIF/OEF vets, etc. don’t come to therapy….mostly Vietnam era vets”……..I can tell you why…..because the reputation the VA, most deservedly, has earned, is one of distrust……BECAUSE of their treatment of our Vietnam Vets (God bless every one of you).

I feel compelled to share my experience with the PHD Psychologist who performed my IME. I do not have his results; they may or may not be favorable. That point, to me, is irrelevant to the purpose of this post, because this is simply an honest assessment of my experience.

The Dr is Robert Coyle. Dr Coyle is located in Munster Indiana (Outside Gary/Chicago area). Dr Coyle is a Marine and Viet Nam veteran. I found him after searching and contacting around 15 different PHD level psychologists/Psychiatrist around my state, of which I received maybe 5 responses. He was also listed under veteran owned business’.

When I searched his name, he had only two reviews, neither was positive. In reading the reviews, to me at least, it seemed pretty obvious that they were from seriously “disgruntled” folks.

My interaction with Dr Coyle was outstanding. He was very thorough, professional, straight talker, honest and genuinely caring. I was administered 8 - 10 different tests, interviewed in detail, filled out the PTSD questionnaire along with him and detailed events. All in all, I spent 6 hours with Dr Coyle.

I arrived WAY early, he saw me anyway. I was an emotional wreck a couple of times during the process, he made me coffee and suggested a break. I did not sleep the night before, stupid anxiety, and drove 4 hours to see him, he offered to let me take a nap in his recliner before leaving for home, I drove my old work truck (heater went out) he offered me jersey gloves to wear on the drive back so I wouldn’t get cold, after the 6 hour process, he took another 10 minutes and thanked me for my service, explained the exam process and how/when I would get his report.

Whether he found in my favor or not, as he explained up front that he cannot guarantee he will not have a different finding than the VA did, which is good as it is honesty, integrity and un-biased truth that I am seeking, he was very professional, courteous and genuinely caring. I would highly suggest Dr Robert Coyle to any veteran seeking an IME/IMO.

-Gunny

Edited by IMEF-Gunny
  • Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Sometimes the  BVA will name an opining independent doctor,but more often they will only use initials.

“The record reflects that during the Veteran's March 2011 videoconference hearing, Dr. R B.C. provided testimony regarding his April 2010 opinion and reiterated his reasons as to why the Veteran has PTSD.”

Since this veteran’s claim was from the Indiana VARO,it is possible this might be the same doctor from Indiana you saw regarding the IMO/IME.

“ORDER

As new and material evidence was received to reopen a claim of entitlement to service connection for a psychiatric disability, the appeal, to this extent, is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for PTSD, is granted.”
The case reveals how the BVA was able to favorably weigh this doctor’s opinion against the VA opinion.

In July 2010 , just after Dr R.B. C. rendered his initial opinion, the PTSD regulations changed,requiring a VA MH professional’s diagnosis of PTSD.

However since this favorable appeal decision was made in 2011,it seems that this was not an issue in the BVA’s acceptance of the IMO/IME.

Even if it is just coincidental that a doctor from Indiana with the initials of R.C. rendered the IMO for this BVA award,and not the IMO doctor you had, 
Still  the case shows exactly how a good MH professional cThe case reveals how the BVA was able to favorably weigh this doctor’s opinion against the VA opinion.

In July 2010 , just after Dr R.B. C. rendered his initial opinion, the PTSD regulations changed,requiring a VA MH professional’s diagnosis of PTSD.

However since this favorable appeal decision was made in 2011,it seems that this was not an issue in the BVA’s acceptance of the IMO/IME.

Even if it is just coincidental that a doctor from Indiana with the initials of R.C. rendered the IMO for this BVA award,and not the IMO doctor you had, 
Still  the case shows exactly how a good MH professional can take the steps to properly diagnose PTSD, by preparing a full medical rationale that overcomes a deficient VA rationale.

The case reveals how the BVA was able to favorably weigh this doctor’s opinion against the VA opinion.

Still  the case shows exactly how a good MH professional can take the steps to properly diagnose PTSD, by preparing a full medical rationale that overcomes a deficient VA rationale.

an take the steps to properly diagnose PTSD, by preparing a full medical rationale that overcomes a deficient VA rationale.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp11/files3/1120784.txt

Edited by Berta

sorry the post came out with the running bar......I am in a high elevation and the wind is affecting my sattelite dish.

Maybe a mod can change this to plain text. Whoever the RC doctor was in this case, he prepared a very good and extensive medical rationale.

That is him ma'am Robert B Coyle, he performs IME's for many vets represented by Lawyers 4 Vets. I believe he quoted 1/3 of his practice is veterans. He, himself, was denied for hearing loss/tinnitus and fought and won on appeal.

I like the fact that he cannot/will not BS, exagerate or pull punches. He will tell you upfront that his assessment will be an honest review. He is not a "hired gun" type.....he's a stand up guy and I'm glad I chose him for my review....irregardless of it's outcome.

Edited by IMEF-Gunny

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use