VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can 0% Compensated Hearing loss be increased due to related job loss/reject?

Rate this question

HorizontalMike

Question

I have received a 0% compensation for Hearing Loss, among several other disability awards.  As It stands, I am at 94% and need another 10% award to become 100% scheduler disabled. Have already received 100% TDIU P&T.

QUESTION: How wise is it to give up 100% TDIU P&T for a 100% Scheduler?  My lawyer argues that that TDIU P&T is more important than getting that 100% Scheduler (because that 100% scheduler can be challenged at any point for a reduction by the VA).  What is the general school of thought on this?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

The "general school of thought" is to stop worrying about a reduction, and enjoy your benefits, and get all the SMC to which you are eligible.  

Check the rating calculator, but I dont think the VA math will increase 90 percent to 100 percent with "only" an additional 10 percent, but that will depend on your other disabilities.  

However, once your hearing loss is "service connected", any increase in your hearing loss is also automatically service connected.  That is, you are already SC for hearing loss, so you dont have to worry about what caused the hearing loss increase.  

I have:

• 70% TBI
  • 50% MDD
  • 50% OSA w/CPAP
  • 10% Tinnitus

Another 10% award moves this from 94% to 95% and then rounds UP to 100%.  Was hoping that my MDD would come in at 70%, however lawyer says I'll get 50% (anti-pyramiding)... That is why I am looking.

The answer is NO, only a Hearing SC Increase C & P exam consisting of the Computerized Frequency Loss Graph and the results of the Maryland Recorded Word test will cause any possible upward movement from SC 0%.

What's with the Lawyer, are you on Appeal. Keep in mind, filing for an Increase opens all your SC's up for scrutiny by the Raters.

A 73 yr old Nam Vet receiving IU T & P No Future Exams since 2015, just put in for a New Claim for his adult daughters Learning disability as related to his AO Exposure. Not only did the claim get Denied, Rater ordered a PTSD C & P Re-exam. Just recently got the VA Raters notice of intent to reduce his 70 SC PTSD to 0% and loss of his IU Rating.

Proceed with care when hunting for the elusive 100% CSC.

Then there's this, with an IU Rating, there's a slim possibility of an SMC S (1) Housebound Award.

The question is, do you currently qualify for the SMC S (1)? Of your current 70% CSC, which SC or SC's were listed on your IU Award Letter as being the cause of your IU? For clarification, could you post a redacted copy of your IU Award Letter?

You don't give up IU, it's an automatic VA change to your Rating if you either get 1 New or current SC increased to 100% or your CSC becomes 100%. The only exception, the Rater's Manual indicates that the Rater has to be sure that changing a Rating from IU to 100% CSC doesn't adversely affect the Vet's Comp amount, as in loss of SMC S (1).

Based on your above listed DX's, only the SA would probably ever qualify for an Increase from the 50 to a 100% individual SC Rating.

That just happened to me 12/2015. My 90% IU T & P was changed to 100% due to an SA increase from 50 to 100%. With the (1) SC at a 100%, the additional SC's 70-30-10 got me the 60% separate CSC needed for the SMC S (1) Comp.