VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got a call for C and P, what do I expect?

Rate this question

Rootbeer112

Question

Hi Everyone,

I filed for PTSD back in 2015, they denied it because half my records were lost, didn't have a C and P. I filed an NOD in 2016 and they called yesterday to set up a C and P. I can now prove without my missing records I was at the place of where my stressor occurred, I also provided the VA with DBQ's as well as Nexus letters from my personal Psychologist as well as treatment records. I have also been being treated at the VA for a few years now for PTSD as well. My questions are, can I bring copies of the DBQ's that my Psychologist filled out as well as Nexus letters linking my military service to my PTSD to my C and P exam? Will they help with my exam? And will they take into account my VA doctors diagnosing me with PTSD and saying it was Military related as well. Sorry if this is a lot I am just heightened mentally right now> Thanks for any input

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What to expect at a VA PTSD C & P Exam, that is the question. By now, you have to have gone over the VA PTSD DBQ at least once or twice, right?

The C & P Forensic Examiner Psychiatrist or Psychologist PhD, is not concerned with treating you. It's strictly the Forensic determination as to how you answer the questions, are you truthful, over reporting symptoms, etc.

Don't over report or under report, neither would serve you well. Over reporting symptoms could get a "Malingering" label, be careful.

15 hours ago, Gastone said:

What to expect at a VA PTSD C & P Exam, that is the question. By now, you have to have gone over the VA PTSD DBQ at least once or twice, right?

The C & P Forensic Examiner Psychiatrist or Psychologist PhD, is not concerned with treating you. It's strictly the Forensic determination as to how you answer the questions, are you truthful, over reporting symptoms, etc.

Don't over report or under report, neither would serve you well. Over reporting symptoms could get a "Malingering" label, be careful.

Gastone,

Yes my personal Psychologist has filled out PTSD DBQ's for me and sent them in to the VA in the past. I just worry what if they don't say the same thing

Glad to see you got your C&P coming up.  It is really a crap shoot with Psych C&Ps. You either get a nice Doc that understands Military PTSD, or you get a hard ass Military or Civilian Psych Doc that wont give you a decent chance even if you deserve it. I have had 4 PTSD C&Ps and they all went all right, but got low balled at first. I have never been able to get the VA Docs to fill out a DBQ. I just gave the Questionnaire to my VA PTSD treatment team. They said that it will be filled out and mailed to me, we will see if they do it and if it is in favor to get my PTSD up to 100%. Just make sure you got your evidence in hand as well. Some Docs will take it, others wont even look at it. Dont be upset if they dont, and just go in there and talk about your worse and good days. Dont over due it, and dont try to out dress him or her, Lol. Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless

3 hours ago, Navy04 said:

Glad to see you got your C&P coming up.  It is really a crap shoot with Psych C&Ps. You either get a nice Doc that understands Military PTSD, or you get a hard ass Military or Civilian Psych Doc that wont give you a decent chance even if you deserve it. I have had 4 PTSD C&Ps and they all went all right, but got low balled at first. I have never been able to get the VA Docs to fill out a DBQ. I just gave the Questionnaire to my VA PTSD treatment team. They said that it will be filled out and mailed to me, we will see if they do it and if it is in favor to get my PTSD up to 100%. Just make sure you got your evidence in hand as well. Some Docs will take it, others wont even look at it. Dont be upset if they dont, and just go in there and talk about your worse and good days. Dont over due it, and dont try to out dress him or her, Lol. Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless

thanks Navy

will it help to bring DBQ's and nexus letters filled out by my own Psychologist, he or she will also have all of the treatment records from my VA psychiatrist as well.

I would not count on the fact that they "have or want to have!!" access to your Records. I would take copies of the records with you and "make a copy" so that you don't give them the only one. I think that CnP scene investigators should respect the findings of one of there own colleagues and not be subjective as your DBQ and medical history points to the longitudinal conditions that the VA has already thread the narrative for you.

As stated above take everything, but remember that the Docs dont have to accept as evidence. The VA will put more weight on what their C&P docs say, so it could go either way bud. I have never, repeat, never even been able to get my VA docs to fill out a DBQ, no matter what kind of Dr. Now, I have never tried Civilian Docs, as 99% of my DRs are thru the VA. Just be hopeful, honest and try not to let it get to you. Remember that the Doc will slide in little words here and there to try to trip u up bud. Good luck, be safe and keep us posted.