VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Pay Calculation

Rate this question

bolt_vet23

Question

After 2.5 years, the VA finally processed my NOD which resulted in a 100% rating.  I’m very grateful for the help and feedback from Hadit over the past few years.  However, I have one more favor to ask.  I received retroactive pay based on the effective award date, but it was half of what I expected.  I calculated approximately $30k in reto pay vs. the $16k that the VA calculated.  Since the NOD took 2.5 years, I had other claims that were processed and awarded during this time, which is outlined below with the effective dates.  The sleep apnea claim is the one for the NOD.

The calculator that I used to determine retro pay is https://www.hillandponton.com/va-retro-disability-calculator/

Disability

Rating %

Effective Date

Old (without sleep apnea)

New (with sleep apnea)

disability #1

30%

9/16/2005

30%

30%

disability #2

10%

7/23/2008

40%

40%

sleep apnea

50%

2/9/2015

70%

disability #3

10%

7/7/2015

40%

70%

disability #4

10%

7/20/2015

50%

80%

disability #5

10%

7/20/2015

50%

80%

disability #6

70%

4/4/2017

90%

90%

disability #7

50%

4/4/2017

90%

100%

Would someone more familiar with retro pay be able to tell me if my math is correct?

Thanks,

Bolt

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Maybe this will help.  Use this formula:

For EACH month figure out your "new disability pay" and subtract what you have already received.  

Remember this:  Your payment will begin the first of the month Following your effective date.  So, for example, with "disability 1" with an effective date of 9/16/05, your first payment wont begin until Oct. 1, 2005.  

You have to use the pay scale from 2005, not the one from 2017, which is significantly less.  

You also have to combine the ratings using VA math, which is not your mother's arithmetic.  

Im sorry, but it would take me probably a couple of hours to calculate that, as the rates change, with Cola, each year.  If you follow all the rules above, you should be able to do it yourself.  

To reiterate:

1.  Use the "old" rates, not the 2017 comp rates.  This means you have to change it each year.  

2.  Dont start it until the NEXT month after your effective date.  

3.  You have to combine, not add the ratings.  

4.  Subtract any monies you have already received in the past.