VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Permanent and Total and Appointments

Rate this question

commodog

Question

Hey guys,

So I was awarded TDIU P&T this year (2017).

I am fully aware that any benefit can be reduced, but was told that P&T is exceptionally unlikely to be reduced.
Is this true?

If so, what is the general or broad consensus for continuing appointments versus not continuing appointments?
Kind of pissed about some stuff the head doc put in recently. I let him know I wanted to change some dosage on my meds, which do work, because they aren't taking the anxiety and depression down a notch like they used to.
He agreed, and then wrote in his report that I reported I was having no depression, while also giving me the diagnosis NOS of TBI/PTSD/Major Depression at the end of it.

My previous head doc was amazing, and listened to everything and developed a strong rapport with me (I have paranoia/trust issues, so that's important to me).

Thanks guys!

commodog

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"I am fully aware that any benefit can be reduced, but was told that P&T is exceptionally unlikely to be reduced.
Is this true?"

I had a Vietnam vet whose TDIU P & T was threatened by a proposed reduction, many years ago.

He had one child enrolled in Chapter 35 and expected the younger child to be college age soon- not to mention the CHAMPVA benefit...he was Very upset about the whole thing.

BUT it all turned out OK. He had asked for a hearing and didnt even have to go----he became very proactive and

it took a lot of work,lots of emails and phone calls with him ( I  sure dont have the time for that these days) and luckily he mentioned something in a phone call to me that became   the "smoking gun" if he could prove it ,and he did. Something he had not recalled in Vietnam, until I asked him a specific question.

However, I do feel that as long as a TDIU P & T vet continues treatment for their disability, there is no reason they should worry,beause most disabilities do not improve, and the P & T designation reflects that fact.

Question,in writing with proof, of  anything in your medical records that is not correct.The VAMC should have a Patient advocate, and if they cant help, contact the Director of the VAMC.

It is odd that he did seem to write the correct diagnosis-is that correct?

Glad to hear u got P&T.  I am permanent as well but last year the VA did reduce my scars from 30% down to 10%. Just continue to seek treatment and always cover ur butt. I don't trust the government anymore. Good luck and hope u have a good Thanksgiving

3 hours ago, Berta said:

"I am fully aware that any benefit can be reduced, but was told that P&T is exceptionally unlikely to be reduced.
Is this true?"

I had a Vietnam vet whose TDIU P & T was threatened by a proposed reduction, many years ago.

He had one child enrolled in Chapter 35 and expected the younger child to be college age soon- not to mention the CHAMPVA benefit...he was Very upset about the whole thing.

BUT it all turned out OK. He had asked for a hearing and didnt even have to go----he became very proactive and

it took a lot of work,lots of emails and phone calls with him ( I  sure dont have the time for that these days) and luckily he mentioned something in a phone call to me that became   the "smoking gun" if he could prove it ,and he did. Something he had not recalled in Vietnam, until I asked him a specific question.

However, I do feel that as long as a TDIU P & T vet continues treatment for their disability, there is no reason they should worry,beause most disabilities do not improve, and the P & T designation reflects that fact.

Question,in writing with proof, of  anything in your medical records that is not correct.The VAMC should have a Patient advocate, and if they cant help, contact the Director of the VAMC.

It is odd that he did seem to write the correct diagnosis-is that correct?

Hello Berta,

He did in fact write the (9 years continuing) diagnosis of "PTSD/TBI/Major Depression NOS", while also writing I "reported no depression".
This after agreeing that my dosage of medication (psychotropic) needed to be increased in the same exact report.
I was actually informing him of major waves of extreme depression I had been having towards the evening, which is what prompted the medication change to which he agreed and authorized.

I just thought that was highly contradictory.

I have been able to spend time with my daughter over the past year, since receiving TDIU w/P&T.
I have taken her to ride her dirtbike, gone to museums with her, and although I derive very little pleasure (usually none) from any activities, I understand how important this is for her development and health, and she giggles and smiles the whole time, which is about the only fulfillment I have.

The Mrs. *JUST* got approved for state sponsored tuition waiver on the basis of my permanent and total disability.
She is also enrolled in Chapter 35.
As of January 1st this upcoming year, she is studying to become a registered nurse, and for the moment wants to focus on helping those with head injuries (like myself). 

So as you can see, there is a lot on the table here as well, and although my conditions have not improved over the span of ~14 years, and have continued to get worse, I do fear a reduction for potentially pithy and/or malformed reasons and inarticulate diagnosis as seen in my most recent record.

Thanks again, Berta!

WOW that is great about spending time with your daughter!!!!!!

And Congrats to the spouse for using her Chapter 35-

I sure used mine with no regrets.

I tied right in with my college's veterans counselor (I was the first civilian they ever had in a degree program)

and the other students were mainly on the GI Bill. This was an online school (American Military University)

I had to pay my tuition first every semester and then have the VA counselor or their financial aid office check my paid tuition on my student account, a few weeks after I began the classes,  and the check would be in the mail.....sometimes it took more than a few weeks.

VA had my direct deposit info but still snail mailed the VA reimbursement checks.

She might be eligible for a Bookstore grant. USMC gave me a grant and that saved me a lot of money. Also

the college might have a Used Book outlet and that too can save some cash.

I went to a traditional campus college for half of my degree before finishing it at AMU and I feel online college is harder than on campus colleges but then again I didnt have to seek a parking spot and was closer to a snack here on line than any college cafeteria.

I wish her great success with this endeavour!

And you clarified what you had said.....it was contradictory----but  I dont think you have to worry about it at all.

Have a Wonderful Holiday!

2 hours ago, Berta said:

WOW that is great about spending time with your daughter!!!!!!

And Congrats to the spouse for using her Chapter 35-

I sure used mine with no regrets.

I tied right in with my college's veterans counselor (I was the first civilian they ever had in a degree program)

and the other students were mainly on the GI Bill. This was an online school (American Military University)

I had to pay my tuition first every semester and then have the VA counselor or their financial aid office check my paid tuition on my student account, a few weeks after I began the classes,  and the check would be in the mail.....sometimes it took more than a few weeks.

VA had my direct deposit info but still snail mailed the VA reimbursement checks.

She might be eligible for a Bookstore grant. USMC gave me a grant and that saved me a lot of money. Also

the college might have a Used Book outlet and that too can save some cash.

I went to a traditional campus college for half of my degree before finishing it at AMU and I feel online college is harder than on campus colleges but then again I didnt have to seek a parking spot and was closer to a snack here on line than any college cafeteria.

I wish her great success with this endeavour!

And you clarified what you had said.....it was contradictory----but  I dont think you have to worry about it at all.

Have a Wonderful Holiday!

Thank you!

She is so excited, and definitely the right kind of person to be a nurse. (empathetic, compassionate, solid work ethic, but won't be pushed around).

Appreciated as always, Berta!
Happy holidays to you and yours as well!

Edited by commodog