VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent living ILP finally accepted, making a plan?

Rate this question

Ace M

Question

I finally have a VRE counselor who came to my home and talked with me for a bit. I was sent over to the VA occupational therapist to go over some items that may be helpful to me. This is the list:  adaptive cutting board, rocker knife, jar opener tool, lighter weight pots and pans, handheld shower head and shower chair

I had made some suggestions such as an adjustable bed, comfort mattress, electric pressure cooker, vitamix, car cushions, massage chair

None of the items i suggested were approved as they were not medically justifiable, i have fibromyalgia with constant back pain and fatigue, i spend 90% of my time in bed, the VRE counselor said she can only make a plan with items that the occupational therapist approves, which steps can i take at this point?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

You can Appeal any negative Decision your ILC throws at you.

The person sent to your house, is generally a non-VA Disability social Worker. They prepare a shopping list of things that could benefit you, in and around the house. Most of their recommendations will not be approved by your VA ILC.

Has your ILC made any mention of a HISA Grant, about $6500.00 to upgrade your Bathroom? Lift Chairs provided by non-VA Vendors are a common approved item, same with the Bed which is supplied by the VA Prosthetic Dept.

Look up the IL Program in the M21 Manual, I believe there is a list of prohibited Equipment.