VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ANYBODY Rated 70% PTSD OR MORE AND WORK

Rate this question

justhere

Question

Hey sorry if wrong place to ask but,  I was wondering if anybody works with 70% or more PTSD and what job they do because I can't find anything I can handle day to day.  I have an appeal in for IU, but looks like  2 years for a decision.   Somebdy told me to drive truckdriving , but how do ppl deal with a panic attacks and constant deadlines and other drivers while driving 18 wheelers .  I would trade any amount of money to be me again.  I get so worn out just from going into a public place.  It seems like it gets worse every year.   If anybody has found jobs that they can handle let me know so I can try them.

6 answers to this question

I don't recommend being a truck driver. I tried that and it was high stress. I don't have PTSD, but I have severe bipolar with psychotic features and have panic attacks, so I share some of the same symptoms and limitations as PTSD. I'm trying to teach myself computer programming/web developer with the hopes of working from home one day. I don't know if I could handle any other type of job. If you're interested let me know and I'll tell you what websites I'm using. Good luck.

Work, if enjoyable, is probably one of the best treatments for PTSD or any-other MH issue. If you can, do it.

If the time comes when you can no-longer hold an SGI (Substantial Gainful Employment) that provides in excess of $12,400 per year or your employer has to make special accommodations for you, it's time to file an IU FDC.

Prior to filing for IU, applying to the VA Vocational Rehab Program would be of great assistance. If in fact your SC PTSD has you so fracked up that you really can't work (earning above the SGI doing even Sedentary work) making the VRC not appropriate, A VRC Denial Letter could Seal the Deal on an IU Rating.

@justhere

I can sense your frustration with things.  I share a similar lifestyle....

I was medically retired from the Army in Nov 2011. I was 50% for PTSD and one year later the VA bumped me to 100%.  This was only one of nine conditions the VA provides me with disability. 

Since my retirement, I've worked two jobs, both of which incur a total time of maybe six months.  Both were a wreck, where maintaining a sense of accomplishment, fluid thought-process, and ability to function effectively seemed challenging, daily. 

Making matters worse, I have no idea how jobs I've applied for, interviews I've attended, or been told: "We're sorry, it was between you and one other fellow, and we picked the other person."  They say being persistence pays off.  Well, after six years of this, I suppose I went crazy along the way.  At my age now - and having the stigma of PTSD tagged to my application - I am beginning to see why I never got selected for jobs.  To add, and after a back surgery, the job market / availability of jobs left, I find myself losing hope for worthy employment.  

To answer your and cease my poor little pity party: Yes.  I did work, some while I was 100%, which is above the 70% you posited for question.  Most noteworthy however, it was for not long, stressful, and you know more about my consistency for employment, or the lack thereof. 

As Gastone mentions - try to the VA VOC REHAB Program.  These seniors on here know their stuff....hands down!!!  I am relatively new here, and currently waiting on my results from a C&P Exam for PTSD and TBI.  

Best of luck to you and keep us in the loop!!

Grumpbox out!

On 1/14/2018 at 9:30 AM, justhere said:

Hey sorry if wrong place to ask but,  I was wondering if anybody works with 70% or more PTSD and what job they do because I can't find anything I can handle day to day.  I have an appeal in for IU, but looks like  2 years for a decision.   Somebdy told me to drive truckdriving , but how do ppl deal with a panic attacks and constant deadlines and other drivers while driving 18 wheelers .  I would trade any amount of money to be me again.  I get so worn out just from going into a public place.  It seems like it gets worse every year.   If anybody has found jobs that they can handle let me know so I can try them.

I was working at 70% with PTSD, but I had to quit. The problem working with PTSD is if you find yourself in a toxic work environment it'll make your PTSD a lot worse. The trick is finding a job where you can take a break any moment you want to and not work hard enough to stress yourself out.

JH, I worked PT at my self-employment before, during and after my IU Award. My yrly NET income was always in the area of the SGI.

I had to take the IU Denial to a DRO Hearing, at which the DRO agreed with my position and Awarded IU back to the "IU Inferred Claim" date.

Working is good for your head.

Yes I work. But it is government related. A few things, if you don't work what at you going to do? Sit home and drink and watch TV. That's a bad road to be on. Your sense of self worth will be nothing. My advice is to get a job at the VA and have a reason and purpose to get up. As a 30% Vet-you could be a direct hire. Two things cause depression when retired-the lack of social interaction and financial stress. A job might solve both. Id try working for housekeeping at a VA facility-lots of Vets there. I am 70% PTSD and sitting home would not be good for me,