VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Re-Examination For my VA Claim

Rate this question

FAVet777

Question

All, 

Thanks for reading this. I have been trying to find all the information that I can about getting re-examined. So I thought I would start here and I did my research on here. I am rated at 70% for PTSD with Major Depression Disorder long with a few other claims that rounds out to 80%. Ill mostly be disscussing my mental health award and not the others Since the that is my highest rating. My benefits where awarded in July of 2017 as far what e-benifits shows. that was my backpay date. In my award letter that I got in the mail it states for all my conditions even tinnitus that "since there is a likelihood of improvement, the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination". First let me state that I am beyond grateful of my award and I do not wish to try to try to increase my ratings or bring any attention to my file or profile with the VA. I am content with where I am at. I go to the VA every two weeks for my 1 on 1 with my Mental Health provider. So I am knocking out two birds with one stone as far as getting my treatment and showing the VA that I am seeking treatment. 

Now...What are the circumstances of me getting Re-evualutated? Is it the luck of the draw and I might get randomly selected? I know plenty of people with lower ratings that are not TDIU or P&T that have been rated for over 4-5 years with no exams what so ever. Consider me being paranoid but I want to be Pre-emptive. Especially since my award letter clearly states that ALL my conditions "is subject to future review examination". When would the VA see that my condition has improved if it did? Would they get an alert from the VA Hospital that I am doing better? Or would it would it arise if i get selected for a review and they review my medical records? Like I said earlier im contempt at 80% and more than anything I just want to stay out of sight out of mind on the VA's raters radar and continue my treatment in peace. 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Relax.  For benefits purposes, remember that PTSD doesnt just go away.  There are actual changes to the brain that occur in PTSD diagnosed patients.  

While I understand that "temporary" designation is troubling, simply continue your treatment(s) and remember to report your worst days, not the day you feel fine, since many/most mental health disorders wax and wane.  That is, you have good days and bad days.  If you go to the doc on one of your good days, while you feel great, dont forget to tell him about last tuesday when you got in a fight with your wife and the police were called.  

When criminals go to jail, nobody wants to hear about the thousands of other days when they did "not" commit any crimes, they always focus on the day that they "did" commit a crime.  Even though a criminal  could have gone thousands and thousands of days without committing any crimes, you will be labeled a criminal for that "one" day where you did commit a crime.  

So, when the doc asks how you are doing, tell him about your worst day..dont tell him you felt fine 29 days last month, tell him about the one day when things went wrong.  

If the doc asks how you are doing, and you respond "fine", then the doc will assume you are "fine".  A re exam is not the time to be polite and respond "fine".  Its ok if the grocery clerk asks how you are, and you dont want to give your life history so you respond, "fine".  But dont do that with the guy who re examines you.  Here are the 2 rules you need to remember, in summary:

1.  Dont stop your treatment.  If its not working, that is, if the pills they give you cause you to not sleep at night, then tell the doc, dont just quit going to the doc.

2.  Tell the doctor what happened on your worst day, when he asks, "How are you?".  

27 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Relax.  For benefits purposes, remember that PTSD doesnt just go away.  There are actual changes to the brain that occur in PTSD diagnosed patients.  

While I understand that "temporary" designation is troubling, simply continue your treatment(s) and remember to report your worst days, not the day you feel fine, since many/most mental health disorders wax and wane.  That is, you have good days and bad days.  If you go to the doc on one of your good days, while you feel great, dont forget to tell him about last tuesday when you got in a fight with your wife and the police were called.  

When criminals go to jail, nobody wants to hear about the thousands of other days when they did "not" commit any crimes, they always focus on the day that they "did" commit a crime.  Even though a criminal  could have gone thousands and thousands of days without committing any crimes, you will be labeled a criminal for that "one" day where you did commit a crime.  

So, when the doc asks how you are doing, tell him about your worst day..dont tell him you felt fine 29 days last month, tell him about the one day when things went wrong.  

If the doc asks how you are doing, and you respond "fine", then the doc will assume you are "fine".  A re exam is not the time to be polite and respond "fine".  Its ok if the grocery clerk asks how you are, and you dont want to give your life history so you respond, "fine".  But dont do that with the guy who re examines you.  Here are the 2 rules you need to remember, in summary:

1.  Dont stop your treatment.  If its not working, that is, if the pills they give you cause you to not sleep at night, then tell the doc, dont just quit going to the doc.

2.  Tell the doctor what happened on your worst day, when he asks, "How are you?".  

Thanks for the fast response. I guess my whole thought process is willntje VA examine me for a re-evaluation? Like i mentioned earlier, some people get them and some don’t regardless If they are P&T or not. That’s my whole concern. I lose a lot of sleep at night thinking if my benefits will be stolen from me. 

You are better off worrying about North Korea bombing us, or being swept up in a "sink hole", or winning the lottery then getting robbed of your money.  

Or, better yet, dwell on some "better things", like spending time with your kids/grandkids, volunteering, helping others, helping your church, etc. Because:

Worry never robs tommorrow of its sorrow, only today of its happiness.