VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Graduation

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

Can anyone tell me if your eligible for Unemployment benefits upon graduation from Voc Rehab. I am starting the job search process of VR next week but am wondering what is all available while not employed. I think I will still receive a stipend as well but was not sure if i was eligible for State Unemployment as well.

The criteria for TDIU is that you are "unable to maintain SGE due to SC conditions". And, this is likely to continue for the rest of your life.   So, if your doctor says these words, AND your voc rehab counseler suggests that, even tho you completed the program, your sc conditions rule out employment, you are good to go.  

More likely, however, is that "even if" your doc says you cant work due to sc conditions, if the voc rehab counseler contradicts that, you probably will have an issue.  That is, if the voc rehab counseler says, you are "healthy enough to go to work", then you may need a voc rehab IMO/IME to get tdiu.  

Most states unemployment benefits are in conflict with TDIU because, when you apply for unemployment you state that you are "ready and able to work".  However, TDIU says you are UNABLE to work, due to sc condiions.  You can not BOTH be ready and able and also unable at the same time.  State unemployment is generally not a disability benefit.  

I suggest you order your cfile, and read what your doctor and voc rehab counselor says.  If the doc and voc rehab counsler says you can work, then you will either have to go to work, or else get another docs opinion to refute the first doc, or else you wont get TDIU.  

So, if your doc releases you to work, then you should be eligible for state unemployment benefits, if you meet their other criteria.  

But if your doc says you cant work, then you can persue TDIU.  Its all about what your doc says, and that will be the evidence that makes the difference.  

What's with the State Unemployment Compensation question, I thought you were receiving or had applied for SSDI?

Did your VRC know about the SSDI?

Stone I am not willing to take the risk losing stipend for 2 months and then waiting for a most likely dissaproval of IU. I can almost guarantee I will be turned down for SSDI as well. So I decided to go forward with job placement. Its a tough place to be but I have to feed my family

12 hours ago, broncovet said:

The criteria for TDIU is that you are "unable to maintain SGE due to SC conditions". And, this is likely to continue for the rest of your life.   So, if your doctor says these words, AND your voc rehab counseler suggests that, even tho you completed the program, your sc conditions rule out employment, you are good to go.  

More likely, however, is that "even if" your doc says you cant work due to sc conditions, if the voc rehab counseler contradicts that, you probably will have an issue.  That is, if the voc rehab counseler says, you are "healthy enough to go to work", then you may need a voc rehab IMO/IME to get tdiu.  

Most states unemployment benefits are in conflict with TDIU because, when you apply for unemployment you state that you are "ready and able to work".  However, TDIU says you are UNABLE to work, due to sc condiions.  You can not BOTH be ready and able and also unable at the same time.  State unemployment is generally not a disability benefit.  

I suggest you order your cfile, and read what your doctor and voc rehab counselor says.  If the doc and voc rehab counsler says you can work, then you will either have to go to work, or else get another docs opinion to refute the first doc, or else you wont get TDIU.  

So, if your doc releases you to work, then you should be eligible for state unemployment benefits, if you meet their other criteria.  

But if your doc says you cant work, then you can persue TDIU.  Its all about what your doc says, and that will be the evidence that makes the difference.  

I do not have TDIU i am only 70%. This whole situation is becoming confusing. I myself am saying that I will lose my next job as I have been terminated the past 3 jobs due to my depression. But...That does not mean that I will get the backup needed to file for IU which to me it is better to work for a time then to not work at all and bring no income. 

I am struggling to know what to do at this point. I am 50% Depression 30% IBS and 10%tennitis. I told VR counselor that I do not think I could work but that I want to go forward. I was soon thinking of going to Vrep to file for IU but then i cannot wait around and not bring income in. I would rather work even just for a bit so i can bring income but work never lasts as my depression and ibs take over. So its tough to know what to do

Dot 9 I am also told I need my Doctor to say that I am TDIU. She says she will not be able to do that and I need to start counseling and they can file that. Getting a physician to do this will be the difficult part. My doctor does document and continues to document my employment termination and due to disabilities as well as how bad my depression and ibs are just do not know if that all is enough, but I suppose it is a start and to have Vrep and I fill out paperwork for TDIU and submit that. I already have a date setup intent to file on ebenefits i just now need to complete upload and send the claim.

Edited by Ddsr