VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to properly revoke a power of attorney from your veterans service organization

Rate this question

Navigator

Question

I am wondering what the proper procedure is for revoking my vso's poa and representing my claim myself.  I contacted my regional VA office in reference to the matter and they informed me that I needed to fill out a form 21-22 and fax it in to the office.  I noticed that form 21-22 is the power of attorney form for adding a vso which I do not want to do.  I looked at the form 21-22a (for adding an individual) but think it would be silly to fill out a form to give poa to myself.  I really don't want the VSO that I am currently involved with to have access to my records.  I understand from doing a few searches on this subject that it may be a difficult procedure, but I did not see anywhere that actually stated a procedure to accomplish this.  Thanks for any help in the matter.

Another great question.  VA makes it easy to do a POA, and its also easy to change from one VSO to another, as the new VSO POA automatically revokes the old one.  

The VA probably does not have a form for this because they really dont want you to go Pro Se, they want you to have a VSO, which is mostly under VA's control.  The VA is defiantely a "control freak".  They snub their nose at the polce as they have their own Kestone Cops, the VAOIG, and they dont really listen to congress either, as congress inquires have been simply ignored on more than one occassion.  

They dont like the presidents hotline, and they certainly dont want Vets calling the RO to try to get anything done.  In short, the VA is a control freak, with their self proclomation of things like, "All claims are different" so they do not have any deadlines on themsleves, but strictly impose deadlines for Veterans.  

I suggest you try sending a 21-4138 revoking your old POA.  Again, VA will choose whether or not to comply with their own regulations or not.  

Really as far as I know there is no specified procedure, you just file another group as your POA.  I would at least have a vet's group have your POA since you can at the very least call them and ask them to look up stuff for you on the system that you cannot see.  Even if you represent yourself you should have someone to look over your shoulder to make sure you are not messing yourself up.  Before I had a lawyer I had a state representative but I wrote all of my own appeal paperwork.  Good luck and do not give up.  

The method to use is the 21-4138. You state:

"I wish to revoke "______________" Power of Attorney. The services are not longer necessary. I do not want them to represent me any longer for any purpose. "

If you know what you are doing in my opinion you're better off doing it yourself or to find someone that actually does. I have helped a lot of Veterans with their claims that VSO's didn't do anything on. Once it's past the initial submission they walk away and don't follow through with denials. They don't bother telling Veterans about Buddy Letters (which can be from anyone familiary with the Veterans Conditions), until VSO's or anyone with POA is proactive you don't need them.

100%+ USMC

Make sure you revoke the POA with the actual VSO and also with the VARO you deal with.

I suggest doing this by certified or priority mail with a tracking slip for both letters.

I say 'letters' because that is how I did it,long ago.

• HadIt.com Elder

After you do what Ms Berta mention above  and REQUEST  them they revoke  your POA and you don't hear anything back  (DAV) guilty of this.

IF You Represent yourself  it is hard to get a revoke POA

OR

If you have a denied claim you can hire an experience Attorney OR VA Claims Agent. you tell them you have a POA at this time but you sent them a letter you know longer what their services  and requested to Revoke your POA with them.

Normally the  New Attorney will send them a letter requesting they Revoke your POA and he will let them know he or his frim is his New POA. 

And your New Attorney will be your new POA.

OR you can represent yourself and come here for any questions you might have.  

The Veteran knows more about his own claim than anyone  its just that you need the knowledge to  represent yourself.

Some times  depending on the status of your claim if its complicated or you need to CUE them its best to seek a experienced Attorney or VA Accredited  Claims Agent;.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

About 22 years ago I got the DAV to help me with my claims...they did very little  I request they drop my POA.

Although There still my POA .

I worked my own claims.   & when I won  they sent me a letter and let me know I was approved  and thank me for using the DAV. eh!!!

They never did help me on anything only what form to file 22 yeas ago  .and they take credit when they are sent the unofficial decision letter   denied or approved.

I still show to have them as my POA  but I work me claims myself  and help from Hadit members.