VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Total combined disability updated in Ebenefits, but claim still gathering evidence?

Rate this question

Matt21ss

Question

***EDITED TO ADD RATED DISABILITIES******

I hadn't checked Ebenefits in a while because I became frustrated with the change in open claim status from gathering evidence to awaiting documents are past due.  I asked my VSO if there was anything I needed to do and he said that it wasn't at our end, but between C&P and VA. All medical records were uploaded by VSO and intent to file was sent within 12 months of retirement (20 years in Navy), so any backpay would be retro to NOV 2016.

So I clicked on the Disabilities TAB, and to my surprise is says, "You have a 100% final degree of disability".

-All of my rated disabilities had effective dates of 11/01/2016 (except the Not Service Connected).

One had been deferred.........."trigger finger right, tenosynovitis thumb right and tenosynovitis index finger right"

Before I update my profile on Hadit:

- Since there are effective dates, do I assume this will be my final rating?

- Since my claim is still open and gathering evidence (I assume from the one deferment) will this delay the closing of the claim?

-  If the deferred item does not effect the overall total disability (don't think there is higher than 100%) would that delay payment or backpay?

- Should I expect payments anytime soon or not expect anything till the deferred item is complete? Is backpay and disability withheld or initialized now since it is at 100%?

I guess I am just looking for a timeline....something like, "Matt, don't even look at that anymore. You have like 2 years before anything hits your account." or "Yup, you should be seeing a payment by next month and backpay two weeks after that!!" (I like that one better!!)

I think it is worse now that I looked at the damn disabilities tab.........I feel like I am assuming too much and am gonna be one of those Vets that stare at my email waiting for the "deposit posted" email.

Here is a screenshot of what is listed on Ebenefits:

image.thumb.png.465057b8cd67b0e03f433b2c3eb620c5.png

Thanks to all that respond and to all that are on here helping.  I hope my post helps others find answers as well

Edited by Matt21ss
upload screenshot

The defered issue Might hold up the award letter- then again might not as the rating might not impact the 100%.

Thank you for those LONG years of service to the great US of A.

One thing that might hold up the $$$ is CRDP- which is automatic- meaning VA contacts DFAS on that and does an audit. 

or you might be eligible instead for CRSC. Cant tell.

CRSC has to be applied for.

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/comparison.html

We have CRDP and CRSC vets here and more info available on this benefit via hadit search.

Edited by Berta

Matt, I agree with Berta that it could delay and also could not delay an award letter but depending on the rest of your disabilities you could be eligible for a statutory SMC rating, 100+60%. If you one disability is rated at 100% and the rest of the SC Disabilities reach a 60% you reach another tier which is an SMC rating.  Not knowing the full range of what you are service connected for I cant say but stay strong and try to be patient. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt all the sc %'s that is in your screenshot on ebenefits,

Using VA Math

if I  counted/calculatedALLS.C.Conditions these correct , its a 94.047 rating and a combined rating of 90% anything less than 95% goes back to the 90% rate.

SO I'M NOT SURE WHY THEY HAVE YOU RATED AT 100%???

That extra % to get to the 100% is hard to do some times for veterans, you will need additional 50% , so you may need to wait until some of these other conditions are rated..if you get the 50%  then  you will be or should be 100%

This is probably why they gave you those ratings  eh!  what you can do is look up the rating criteria for each of these disabilities and see if they have you rated correctly?  if not Appeal the decision on those ratings

Another way for SMC is when a veteran has a 100% S.C. Disability  and then another seperate S.C. Condition rated 60% or higher  will meet the SMC Criteria

with these pending conditions and if they are combined enough you could possibly meet SMC Criteria  but keep in mind the SMC is given as the severity of the condition, if any keeps you from working or leaving your home.

If so check with SSA/disability  or Retirement if your age 62 or more.but check the SSDI for sure. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Correction and Apology

I think I missed 1- S.C. rating at 10%  if so yes then you are 100% combined rated. sorry bout that .

but being you are  now 100% then all these other pending condition should boost you up to at least 60%  if you just get a 10% rating for these that should boost you up to the 60% & Meeting the SMC Criteria   depending on the conditions you have and the severity.

If it does the rater as an obligation to infer the SMC

As I understand it when a Veteran is rated at the 100% rate and meets the SMC Criteria with another condition or combined ratings that meet the criteria  then that is a statutory rating  & is  mandatory for the SMCs

JMO

• HadIt.com Elder

The CRDP

Deductions from your Retired Pay (Normal Payment Method)

The normal method of paying for SBP coverage is by an automatic deduction from your retirement pay. The vast majority of retired members with SBP coverage pay through this means. It is implemented automatically if you elect SBP coverage at the time you retire.

Deductions from your CRSC Pay - Coming April 2018

Beginning with the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) premiums due in April of 2018, DFAS will start deducting SBP premiums from Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) when retired pay is not sufficient to cover the full amount of the premiums. This new deduction is due to a change in the law which requires DFAS to deduct SBP premiums from CRSC.

This change affects retirees who receive CRSC and currently pay SBP premiums via direct remittance.

Retirees who currently have SBP premiums deducted from their Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) pay will not be affected.

This change will benefit retirees and their survivors by preventing a debt when a retiree forgets to pay the SBP premiums directly. When SBP premiums are not paid during a retiree’s lifetime, it creates a debt which must be repaid from the SBP annuity a survivor receives.

Just my opinion

Depends on which one is paid the highest..if your CRDP is paid higher than the S.C. Disability's  you go with the retirement....but if it don't then they will deduct the over payment which you have been paid on your S.C. Disability's  after  the off-set and you will be getting the S.C. Disability Compensation  I don't think you can get both.

but as I understand a Veteran can get both under special circumstance.

I am not sure what that is?

However I am not 100% sure on this...just my opinion.

Edited by Buck52

Thanks for the responses Berta and LanceJoseph!!

I had to do some "look-ups" to see what the acronyms meant.

I assume that I would qualify for CRDP since I completed 20 years of active duty and currently receive a retirement check every month. After some digging, I think I need greater than 50% combined to receive both retirement and disability pay. Since Ebenefits currently says 100% combined, I assume that is the case.  I do not think I qualify for any SMC (I think it was the special lettering) since I donot have a loss of anything?

I guess it would help to list what the rated disabilities are:

bilateral ingrown toenails   Not Service Connected    
Hypertension 0% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Degenerative joint disease left knee 10% Service Connected   11/01/2016
stable angina 10% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Bone spur C5 claimed as cervical, numb mid back area thoracic back pain and problems, limited motion, pain on motion and weakness 10% Service Connected   11/01/2016

Cervical radiculopathy left upper extremity also claimed as numbness both arms and hands

Not Service Connected    

Cervical radiculopathy right upper extremity also claimed as numbness both arms and hand

Not Service Connected    
keratoconus with vision dysfunction 0% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Obstructive Sleep Apnea, (OSA) with Bruxism 50% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Major Depressive Disorder claimed as depression 50% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Degenerative joint disease right knee 10% Service Connected   11/01/2016
hyperlipidemia   Not Service Connected    
sinusitis, acute   Not Service Connected    
Deviated septum with septoplasty surgery with reduced air flow   Not Service Connected    
Anxiety Disorder, also claimed as anxiety stress issues with memory concentration problems   Not Service Connected    
Scars, anterior and posterior truck due to acne and mole removal 0% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Hearing Loss bilateral 30% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Tinnitus claimed as high pitched ringing noise 10% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Degenerative arthritis, Intervertebral Disc Syndrome, claimed as back pain and thoracic lumbar spine and back pain limited motion, pain on motion and weakness 20% Service Connected   11/01/2016

superficial peroneal nerve radiculopathy, left lower extremity

0% Service Connected   11/01/2016

superficial peroneal nerve radiculopathy, right lower extremity

0% Service Connected   11/01/2016
trigger finger right, tenosynovitis thumb right and tenosynovitis index finger right   Deferred    
gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) 10% Service Connected   11/01/2016
left knee instability 20% Service Connected   11/01/2016
hemorrhoids 10% Service Connected   11/01/2016
Acne face and neck 0% Service Connected   11/01/2016