VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CPAP user??

Rate this topic

I had an appointment at sleep clinic today. This thing makes my lips bleed

and a dry mouth, I was told to use cube ice instead of water and to use Vaseline

on my lips to help with moisture also they are sending me a heated hose. Anyone tried this??

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

My first machine was from 2012 and the humidifier stopped working. I went to the sleep clinic and they provided a replacement machine. Perhaps you might have the same problem with yours.

I have never heard of using ice cubes, but whatever you put into the humidifier tank, be sure it is from distilled water only. Regular tapwater and many bottled/gallon jugs of over the counter water contain minerals to enhance taste. As the water evaporates, crystals can form and impact the effectiveness of your equipment.

Hope this is helpful.

• HadIt.com Elder
14 hours ago, porgee said:

I had an appointment at sleep clinic today. This thing makes my lips bleed

and a dry mouth, I was told to use cube ice instead of water and to use Vaseline

on my lips to help with moisture also they are sending me a heated hose. Anyone tried this??

Porgee

check with the sleep clinic  I had the same thing happen to me and bruising on my nose , they gave me a different mask to try and some cloth filters to put around my mouth /nose before slip the mask on...but since I use the nasal pull around that the air just goes into the nose and not mouth  I like those better  I think Vync uses this type too?i forget what they call it?

I never tried the heated hose let us know how it works for you?

They told you to use ice & vaseline?   that's not very sanitary (jmo)

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Buck's right. I switched from the full nose/face mask (i.e. bear trap) to one that rests on my nostrils. It is lightweight and feels like I am not wearing anything. No more waking up to find the mask on the floor beside the bed. It might not work for everyone, but it is definitely worth trying all mask options they have.

I have too use a full face mask because of sinus & and mouth open while sleeping

I have tried the nose and just about every mask they have. I been using tap water

when I do use it but the doctor says use only distill  water . Last night I tried the distill ice

in the tank l also put the Vaseline on my lips, lol. and I sleep with the mask all night ,never before.

The thing about the ice u get the distill water and make some ice cubes and the put it

in the tank and I set it at 3.5 no dry mouth nor dry lips it work for me last night. I hope

I have the same tonight

Edited by porgee

• HadIt.com Elder

Well as long as it worked  you do whats best for you.

I guess using the ice cubes its a cooler air and more comfortable/ soothing?

I think the distill water don't have chlorine  in it like tap water

I always use distilled water and wash out the hose/nose  pillows every morning let hang dry in my bath room

porgee ,when we get enough sleep we tend to feel better , I do anyway.

but I do wake up about 2 or three times a night still...not counting my n/m's  they wake me up too or spouse wakes me up from hollering my C-pap comes loose or comes out of my nose, I usually fight with it every night adjust it & I use it every night..I had an argument with my sleep Nurse at the VA she checked my hours of use and said I was not using it enough  I ask her if waking up and taking it off for adjustment stalled the use of the machine   she said no..I disagree with that.

However my MH Doc mention that my PTSD Meds have an effect on sleep..so she prescribe me 100mg trazodone  but the meds can give you dry mouth.

But anyway porgee when something works and is better for your health  go for it. you might ask about the micro cloth pads  they got for me to use?

I don't use them anymore since I went to the nasal pillows.