VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What does Permanent & Total means?

Rate this question

neferaM

Question

Hello fellow Vets! 

I received approval for unemployability but it says that I got approved for unemployability in June of last year until October. Then it says that from October on, I am 100% P&T (permanent and total).  The letter says that P&T is my status since P&T is a higher award. I got a military  this week ID and it says indefinite. What does P&T really means? Should I expect any reevaluation in the future? Can my rating be lowered? Thanks. 

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Permanent and total means you don't have to have any reevaluations in the future and they can't lower your rating. Plus you get the ID, no property taxes, and some other stuff. Have you applied for SSDI?

Sorry, Buddylove, P and T does not mean "they cant lower your rating."  They CAN reduce your rating even if P and T, if you demonstrate "actual improvement under ordinary conditions of life" which generally means if you go back to work.  

P and T DOES mean:

1.  Eligibility for Chapter 35 DEA.  

2.  Many  state benefits, such as some states lower your property taxes or eliminate them.  

3.  Eligibility for an "MWR" card, which mostly gives you full access to on post services, such as the Auto shop, wood shop, commissary, movies, BX, etc.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the best part of being P&T for benefits  is the wife can get ChampVA Medical Insurance and  can go back to school Va Pays for it  and the property Tax Exemption  but this exemption is for Veteran that are 100% and not need to P&T. ....100% vets also qualifies for the property tax exemption. 

However being P&T Makes it harder for them to reduce your s.c. %

They can call any veteran up for a evaluation at any time. under the 20 year rule .

but being P&T with no future exams scheduled   they need a good reason for it. (shown improvement) and aso if your age is over 55

Edited by Buck52

12 hours ago, BuddyLoveAK said:

Permanent and total means you don't have to have any reevaluations in the future and they can't lower your rating. Plus you get the ID, no property taxes, and some other stuff. Have you applied for SSDI?

Thanks for your response. To answer your question. Yes, I did. At first it got denied, and I had to appeal. I received the VA award letter and sent it to them via fax. I got approved within 2 weeks of faxing the VA award letter.  

7 hours ago, broncovet said:

Sorry, Buddylove, P and T does not mean "they cant lower your rating."  They CAN reduce your rating even if P and T, if you demonstrate "actual improvement under ordinary conditions of life" which generally means if you go back to work.  

P and T DOES mean:

1.  Eligibility for Chapter 35 DEA.  

2.  Many  state benefits, such as some states lower your property taxes or eliminate them.  

3.  Eligibility for an "MWR" card, which mostly gives you full access to on post services, such as the Auto shop, wood shop, commissary, movies, BX, etc.  

Thanks for your response. So, does that mean that as long as I don't return to work and continue my treatment, I should be ok? I ask because I am 37 and I would really hate to spend the next 5 years unemployed and have VA reduce my rating in the future when I'm 42 and 5+ years of no work history. 

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

I think the best part of being P&T for benefits  is the wife can get ChampVA Medical Insurance and  can go back to school Va Pays for it  and the property Tax Exemption  but this exemption is for Veteran that are 100% and not need to P&T. ....100% vets also qualifies for the property tax exemption. 

However being P&T Makes it harder for them to reduce your s.c. %

They can call any veteran up for a evaluation at any time. under the 20 year rule .

but being P&T with no future exams scheduled   they need a good reason for it. (shown improvement) and aso if your age is over 55

Thanks for your response. Well I am 37. The only thing that concerns me about having the rating reduced in the future is that I have been unemployed for a little over two years. If in 5 years VA decides to reduce my rating, I'll be 42 then. Being 42 and having a 7 year gap on a resume does not help much if I had to find employment then. Now, this question is for you. I was rated at 70% before 100% P&T. Can VA reduce my rating below 70%? I read somewhere that the original rating was protected. Is that correct?