VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received 100% at earlier date through Appeal-received no compensation back pay.

Rate this question

hcorcoran01

Question

I appealed for an earlier date for PTSD and Individual Unemployability.  I received my 100% December 10, 2010, and appealed to the date I originally applied for benefits (November 2007).  I just received the Order approving both but the Order states "It is granted, subject to controlling regulations governing the payment of monetary awards".

Does this mean that I get no back pay - as I didn't receive any back pay - just got the approval from Veterans Law Judge, Board of Appeals.  Should I appeal the fact that I received no back pay?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

Congratulations on your win!

If you just received this letter, then don't panic!

Most VARO's tend roll up all your award letter documentation in a Big Brown Envelope (BBE), which could actually be a different color envelope. However, sometimes they may sent it via multiple mailings. You might get the good news award letter like this, but it doesn't include anything about retro payment amounts. That could arrive at any time. It is possible that in either situation, retro could arrive in your bank account before the letter hits your mailbox.

If you have an ebenefits account, you can check there.

You can also call the 1-800-827-1000 hotline and ask. Keep in mind that you might get someone with no info, but call back and get someone else with info about it.

If your claim was filed through a VSO, like DAV, VFW, American Legion, you can contact them. They may be able to get you additional information.

I hope this helps you out! Good luck!

I called our local Regional Office today, and am waiting for a phone call back.  Thank you SO MUCH for answering!!  I will let you know when I receive an answer from them!

It is great that you fought the EED and succeeded.

But a BVA award takes time to be 'implimented by a regional office.

If you read the BVA decision, all the ones I have read have stated you are entitled to "expeditious treatment", but VA's definition of "expeditious" is different than mine. 

I think "expeditious" should mean days, or even minutes, not weeks or months.   

You should be receiving back pay but it can take up to six months depending on whether there was a remand or how busy your regional office is.