VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could the VA take my IU rating?

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hi, everyone.

I've posted and contributed to this board in the past and its members have always been extremely helpful. Assuming not all of you know my backstory, I'll provide a brief summary:

I was discharged from the Marine Corps in 2008. Initially got rated 50% for mental health. Applied for IU a few years later; it was granted and has been continuous for 8 years now. I was able to graduate from a college program through Voc. Rehab., but SC conditions remain the same. No improvement over the years and the impact on my life has been toxic. I sometimes neglect myself, no showers or oral health care for days on end. Literally tip-toeing around because I'm afraid of making noise and disturbing others. Urinating in plastic bottles because I can't bring myself to leave my room, and so on. The chances of me being able to secure employment, let alone maintain it, are slim to none. I'm embarrassed about this fact, but it is what it is. All my attempts at companionship result in me running away to wallow in my own misery. I worry about myself, and my future. No kids, no wife, no purpose.

I have days where I can't even get out of bed. Hard to imagine an employer "understanding" my reason for missing work. I've thought about pursuing an independent business from home, so lets use that as an example. I set up an office at home and advertise my services. I may receive work, I may not. Something like this could address a handful of my issues, but wouldn't suffice as a main source of income. I'd even take on free work at times, sort of like volunteering. My fear is that the VA would consider this employment and take away my IU rating, even though it's more of just a vehicle to an improved lifestyle. I remember reading that if your 100% permanent total rated, you can work without a reduction in benefits. Maybe this is what I need to pursue?

Something like this mini business idea would give me purpose, something to get out of bed for. But what it wouldn't do is generate anywhere near the amount of income I need to live on. I worry about the distant future as well. Because I don't have any taxable income, I cannot contribute to an IRA. This scares me. Everyone who works has a 401k, I have nothing. I've been putting money aside in a savings account every month to combat this, but I'm not utilizing increased growth potential. By the way, if anyone has advice/tips on saving for retirement due to these restrictions, please share.

Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated, and thank you to those who have taken the time to listen. I really think my idea could have a positive impact of my dreadful life. I really do. Have a great day/night, everyone. God Bless! 

-Marine LCpl

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No time for your backstory right now, will have to read it later. The answer to your IU question, IU is always up for grabs, even if it's T & P, No Future Exams.

Filing a New Claim for anything could result in a Review of your IU associated SC's which could result in an SC reduction and loss of IU. Then there's always the possibility of a C-File Diary Dated Re-exam, which could lead to a reduction.         Failure to file the Yearly Required 21-2140  income/Employment verification form could also result in a Rating Dept Intent to Reduce your IU back to your actual CSC Comp level.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone I was informed if the VA don't send out the 21-2140 to the Veteran on IU  the veteran don't need to send it in, & if he gets a proposal letter to reduce out of the blue  he can say he never recieve this 21-2140 form from the VA.

Unless the veteran starts working and the VA checks the SSA Records that he is paying taxes   then that will set off a proposal to reduce.

Some veterans that are on IU Are pretty sick and can't get out to mail things and will cause hvac for the veteran.

Edited by Buck52

O Contrar Buckmister, an IU Vet is required yearly to file a Timely (within 60 Days) of his IU anniversary Date 21-2140 up to age 69 or 70. Failure to do so, probably won't result in an immediate Notice of Intent to reduce but it could and probably will somewhere down the road.

Even when the VA took a break from mailing them out, a bunch of years back, the IU Vets were still required to Submit the 21-2140 each year. An IU Vet back then probably didn't get nailed on a "Failure to File" unless his C-File had a  "Diary Dated Re-Exam" scheduled. 

Why would an IU Vet under 70 take a chance? Way to easy to complete and submit on a timely basis, Cert US Mail of course.

A Vet using the excuse of not receiving the 21-2140 from the VA when he gets the "Notice of Intent to Reduce," is like saying his "Dog ate his homework."

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree and the new vets that just recieve the IU needs to send this in every year for the 1st 5 years or so  but this was what I was informed on from Asknod (Alex Graham) if VA don't send the 21-2140  then we don't need to worry about it.

I am sending mine in this month  and attaching a side note asking if this  21-2140 Is still a requirement for me to send in each year?  as my rating status has changed.( see my Rating sheet on e benefits.)

If they send me a letter stating I am no longer required to send in the 21-2140  then I won't send it in anymore.

I think your in the same boat as me  our rating status has changed since we got the separate ratings,  mine for Chronic PTSD and yours for the chronic Sleep Apnea. making the IU Moot. this is what I am going to ask.

& see what they say?

Edited by Buck52

M-E3, how did you complete the VR Program College Degree, online? 2yr or 4yr Degree, what field?

Out of the Crotch in 08, you've never worked a full-time job? Any Dependants? What other SC's make up your CSC 80%?

"You have nothing?" You mean other than approx. $36K Tax-Free IU Comp Income, right. You've never worked a full-time civilian job and have made no contributions to your SS Account.

What to do, what to do? If you're not already in, you certainly need to get back into VA MH Group or individual therapy.

When you're an IU recipient, part-time Reg A$$ or Self-Employment is still possible. SGI will come into play but only after 12 continuous months of employment. If your IU SC Conditions force you to take time off during each 12 month period, the Earned Income is irrelevant.

You need to remember you are a Marine. CAN'T shouldn't be in your vocabulary.

I'd have to defer to AN, but the 21-2140 is so easy to have a number of copies just needing the Dates written in, why would a Vet want to take a chance. Who in their right mind would want that grief and aggravation?

10 minutes and a Stamp each year, won't cause them to miss too much of the "Price Is Right."

If I'm not in error, I believe if it's noted in your C-File or whatever the VA uses to document the mailing of the 21-2140 to the Vet's Address of Record, that is considered as Evidence of Mailing if a Reduction Hearing were held.

Better Safe than Sorry, right.