VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss......need someone to interpret the numbers?

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

Got a copy of my C&P Exam today at VAMC......... under Diagnosis, got X's in Right Ear for Sensorineural hearing loss between 500-4000 Hz and frequency range of 6000 or higher,  and in Left Ear X's s for Mixed Hearing Loss, sensorieneural hearing loss in 500-4000 Hz and frequency range of 6000 and higher.  Hoping someone here can tell me something who can decipher what all this means.........basically did I pass or fail  my Hearing Test in VA's World? 

Hearing Test.jpg

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne I am not sure how they figure this out  but here is the hearing rating chart\maybe you can figure it out.?

If the results for each puretone threshold (1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 Hertz) are all 55 decibels or more, then it can be rated on either of the above tables, whichever results in the higher Roman numeral, even if a speech test was performed.

If the results of the puretone threshold of 1000 Hertz is 30 decibels or less and the results of the puretone threshold of 2000 Hertz is 70 decibels or more, then it is a special case which merits a greater hearing loss compensation. It can be rated on either of the above tables, whichever results in the higher Roman numeral, even if a speech test was performed. The Roman numeral calculated from the tables is then increased by one level. So, if the highest Roman numeral of the two tables is VI, then that ear is assigned a Roman numeral of VII.

Once a Roman numeral is assigned to each ear, a rating can be found using the table below. First find the Roman numeral down the left side for the ear that hears the best (one with the smaller Roman numeral). The Roman numeral of the ear that hears the worst (one with the bigger Roman numeral) can be found across the top of the table. Then find the rating in the intersecting box of these two Roman numerals. For example, if the best ear has a Roman numeral of III, and the worst ear has a Roman numeral of VI, then the total rating for hearing loss is 10%.

unfortunately this below never copied ...eh!

I believe broncovet has the rating hearing loss chart.?

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

looks to me like your left ear is pretty bad hearing that  should get at  least a 50% rating   maybe higher? you have a 40@500/1000 45 @2000  65@3000 80&80 @4000/6000 It needs to be higher than 55 decibels  tested on these frequencies as I understand it? you have that in your left ear.

these are pretty high #for hearing loss. your left ear is pretty bad/(jmo)

but I don't truly understand just how they use this  rating chart your right ear don't go over the threshold enough for rating purposes but can be at 0%

broncovet will know.

Edited by Buck52

The part Im not sure of is your speech discrimination..its usually in a percentage and yours has 3 different numbers for each ear.  If you call your audiologist, she can maybe explain that discrepency, or how they put it on the newer forms with 3 different numbers.  

Bronco.....I certainly intend to ask next week as I have no idea what all those numbers mean in regard to speech discrimination either.   My left ear is in pretty bad shape and hearing aids are coming up at the end of the month.  I'm getting the sense that since my right ear did not rate as high as my left they'll now downplay the disability possibly to even 0%.  I still don't understand all this Roman Numeral formula stuff as it is suppose to translate into a rating number. I also have tinnitus and that was recorded on same DBQ.....questions asked and recorded....basic stuff.   Is tinnitus usually granted @ 10% if VA declares hearing loss even if rated at 0% (non-compensable)........or do I have to file another FDC all over again based on whatever disability VA finally decides to grant me and just nexus that to the s/c hearing loss?

Buck....yep left ear is a lot worse than right......you say 55 decibels......I scored 58 for an average score on Left Ear.........is that what you referring to as decibels?   What is the threshold of 55 all about anyway........not clear? I did even worse in Left Ear at 6000 (80)  and 8000 (70)  levels than the others and apparently those are not even taken into consideration.  As I understand VA stops using any numbers after 4000.  I have no idea what 6000 and 8000 numbers mean either and why they're even tested and recorded if not used as part of the formula?   If this does not at least equate to a minimum 10% for hearing loss and 10% tinnitus then VA, in my mind, has rigged the tests to insure a lot of Vets do not get fairly compensated for their disability.    

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not sure how they use the formula ? they take a certain# divide it by 4 and this gives the rating, I notice you may have some special type of hearing loss also in your left ear  they noted that..., I'm not sure what that is?

probably your left ear is in the profound hearing range   which if its at 50% or more  then they have to decide what rating to give you for both ears   even if you show a 0% for your right ear. however if only one ear has severe hearing loss  no chance for the special compensation  it has to be loss in both ears to meet the VA Criteria  for the SMC.

If they approved you for the tinnitus  its 10% and its for both ears. ..as I understand it tinnitus is a seperate rating from your hearing loss rates.

when they tested my hearing 16 years ago I had to ask the Audiologist what everything meant  I took my exam reports to him and he broke it down  it's not easy to understand...I just let them figure it out.  how ever I went to a Private ENT that used his own Audiologist and the VA used him in there decision over the VA Audiologist.

one thing to consider is the equipment they use  was this equipment calibrated to its original specks before they tested you or can they show the paper work when this equipment had been last calibrated? b/c it may not be accurate. ( just like there weight scales they always show me 10 lbs heavier.)

This is a good reason to use a private Audiologist.

WAYNE You show a worse score for this test in your right ear  but unfortunately it's only 55% and they give you a ''good'' score on your Maryland CNC word discrimination test  you answered more than 50% of the words correct..this is the test they usually decide how to give you more of a higher % to include your level of your current hearing loss.

you would need a % 40 % to 50% for the poor word test. which is ratable.

I think they screwed up on this test  if you show no hearing loss in your right ear  this word test shows your right ear is worse than your left ?

I run across this about the Maryland CNC Word test

The lower the percentage on this word test  the more server your hearing word discrimination is.

''The results of this test are recorded as a “%” on your hearing test form. The number is the percent of words you repeated back to the audiometrist correctly. Normal speech discrimination is 100%, mild 85-95%, moderate 70-80%, poor 60-70%, very poor 40-50%, below 35% very severely impaired.''

If you get screwed on this  I'd go to a qualified State Licensed Audiologist  and use the VA Guidelines for hearing testing  and take the Maryland CNC Word test...and compare these test if the private Dr's testing show a more severe hearing loss and also a worse word test score than the VA....> Appeal the decision and submit the private Dr's report.