VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU???

Rate this question

Bluntly

Question

Currently waiting thru the process and have all the required docs needed on my end. They're waiting on my Voc Rehab info that i applied for years ago but never attended anything just applied. VA been waiting for this info or response for about a month now, my question is how long they're going to wait for this before they decide to move on with my claim???

You posted,

Voc Rehab info that i applied for years ago but never attended anything just applied.

Thus, you may have hurt your own chances at TDIU.  Why?  Well lets say you have 2 bad knees that are service connected, and VOC rehab may have offered to retrain you as a computer programmer where you dont need to use your knees, just sit and program a computer.  

Now, of course, Im not saying you DID that, but its possible and the VA may not like that you "blew off" your Voc. Rehab.  

TDIU means your service connected disabilities prevent you from ANY substantial gainful employment, and Voc Rehab may have offered you a chance to retrain because of SC disabilitie(s).  

How it went down for me is that I had to have a Voc Rehab counselor say that I could not do any type of job.  Your doc can opine "gee, he is unable to work because of SC disabilites", but that does not necessarily mean I can not do ANY kind of work, I may be able to perform sedentary work, for example.  

This said, your question began "how long does it take VA to..." and nobody can accurately guess that.  

It may happen quickly, or mine took 11 years.  

ITS possible that the VA deny even with all Caluza elements because the VA presumes you can be retrained, and, without a voc rehab assessment, you can not demonstrate that you cant do any type of work.  

My voc rehab assessment was key in getting awarded my tdiu.  

I was hospitalized close to 3 weeks and didnt get to make it to that appointment due to a suicide attempt. Currently waiting for ssdi also that i applied for in November of 2016 i believe. I still dont get how i may have screwed up benefits that i know im entitled to???

Edited by Bluntly

I would like to add that when i got out the hospital, i never reached back out to them on that appointment missed. It's either TDIU or increase to 100 percent for ptsd is how i actually see it. But it can be worst case scenario which is none of the above. Appreciate your input.

Edited by Bluntly

Ok.  Here is the deal.  If you are sent for a C and P exam, and you fail to show, the VA pretty much automatically denies.  The VA simply figures you are basically "abandoning" your claim if you dont show for a c and p exam.  

You posted, 

i never reached back out to them on that appointment missed. 

Its one thing to miss an appointment.  We all have traffic jams, and other stuff that can prevent us from making an appointment.  However, VA expects (no, demands) your cooperation to obtain benefits.  

If you miss a c and p exam (never do this unless there is a compelling reason, and being in the hospital is a compelling reason), then resched this appointment.  

Dont get mad at me, Im just letting you know that a missed c and p exam (WITHOUT RESCHEDULING) is pretty much automatic denial.  I know this as I have been on hadit for about 11 years and I have seen this multiple times.  

Now, a voc rehab assessment is not the same as a c and p exam, however, it COULD BE that VA treats it like a c and p exam for TDIU applicants.  

Is it possible that VA does not care you missed a voc rehab appointment?  Sure.  However, my experience with VA is if its possible to go wrong, it usually does.  Even when you dot all the i's and cross all the t's, the VA can still invent glitches.  

My advice is to call your voc rehab counselor and ask him, but first check your cfile for these 3 things related to TDIU:

1.  A doc statement where he says you are "unable to maintain SGE due to SC conditions".  

2.  You need to not be working, or at least not earning the poverty minimum which is about 12,000 per year based on your number of dependents.  

3.  If you quit your last job, you better have a real good reason, as they will check with your previous employers.  It may work if you quit your job because you had to go to doctors appointments 4 days a week, and they told you you needed to quit or get fired.  

YOUR suicidal ideations MAY work to your advantage in getting TDIU?  Why?  How many employers do you think want to hire someone who has SI or homicidal ideations?  I doubt that your employer wants to hire someone who may possibly perform his suicide AT WORK.  

You see, if you are PTSD or have been diagnosed with other mental health disorders, then retraining through voc rehab may not help much.  As I said, if you just had kneee problems, then you can be retrained, but retraining you wont get rid of SI.