VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claiming Illnesses Affect Insurance Rates?

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

Hi,

I am currently in my presumptive period after ETSing and have 10 issues I want to claim. 

My concern is this scenario: I have PTSD but was never diagnosed with during or after service (never was seen for it). Now I want to put a claim in for PTSD. If the C&P doctor diagnosis me with PTSD but then it is denied in my VA claim, do I suffer the consequences of the following:

1. Higher insurance premium due to having PTSD (or any other illnesses that was diagnosed through C&P)

2. Higher disability insurance premium. I work in a field that I must carry disability insurance and do not want these claims to affect my rates. 

What are your thoughts?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I can't speak for your situation, but in mine, I was denied disability insurance by several BROKERS-not individual companies because of my claims. I have several claims that were all approved to varying degrees, PTSD being one of them and I am considered ineligible for disability insurance AND life insurance (life insurance specifically through USAA when my current policy expires, I will not be able to renew). Very disappointing for this to be the case.

Sgt. Wilky

1 hour ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

I can't speak for your situation, but in mine, I was denied disability insurance by several BROKERS-not individual companies because of my claims. I have several claims that were all approved to varying degrees, PTSD being one of them and I am considered ineligible for disability insurance AND life insurance (life insurance specifically through USAA when my current policy expires, I will not be able to renew). Very disappointing for this to be the case.

Sgt. Wilky

I'm sorry to hear this. 

Check out this article and give it a read: https://www.policygenius.com/blog/chronic-illness-and-life-insurance-what-you-need-to-know/

They list out the best life insurance companies for those with pre existing conditions. I hope this helps you. 

What did the disability insurances say when they denied you coverage?

Also did you then get disability insurance through a company and not broker?

Yes, any illness will affect your insurance rates.  Some companies will outright reject you and some will charge you more.  If you have PTSD though I would make the claim.  The illness untreated is a dog waiting to bite you.  Good luck.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I got medical, life, short/long term, legal, cancer, and accident insurance through my work. No medical exam or history required, so I opted for the max on everything. If you select lower benefits, you would need to get an exam and provide a history before requesting an increase. When I leave this job or retire, I can pay a bit more and continue my plans. Not all plans can be carried over for all employers.

That's great to get all of that covered. I wish it was like that for everyone. 

I'm looking at pros and cons of even filing VA claims. I'm afraid I will be granted 0% for everything with $0 compensation and then stuck with a declined or much more expensive health insurance and disability insurance plan...

If you file a claim, you need to understand that you also need to be committed to the process. It's inevitable that you are going to deal with hassle from the VA as it's in their nature. I had to stick with my claim for over 9 years (still one ongoing appeal so that's 10 years) but if you stick to it, and do what you need to do, the veteran 99 times out of a 100, wins. If there is medical evidence to substantiate your claim, you will win-eventually. You should consult with one of the many organizations that help veterans (I used my county VSO) and they will be able to answer most of your questions and address your many concerns. This site is replete with information on a myriad of issues. While these issues that you address are legitimate, I don't believe they should prohibit you from filing legitimate, factually based claims for which you know you deserve and rate compensation. Each month you wait is a month of benefits that you're potentially missing out on.

Sgt. Wilky