VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asbestosis Diagnosis

Rate this question

SSGC Old Soldier

Question

Just beginning the struggle to get my lung disease service connected, I Was served as a mechanic from 1984-1993 and was exposed huge amounts of asbestos, I now have severe case of COPD I've suffered a collapsed lung in 2016 I've had Pneumonia 3 times in the past 4 years and Im facing another lung surgery now. Ive only been able to work 7 months since Feb. of 2016 because of lung related issues and now I'm certain I will lose my job and insurance. My family doctor, thoracic surgeon and pulmonologist all say that my asbestos exposure could be a cause but none of them will diagnose me with asbestosis. Anyone have any ideas?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I think COPD could have many causes, smoking is one of them....

but this is all discussed on th net under a COPD search-

Were you exposed to any other environmental chemicals /agents that could have caused the COPD?

What do your doctors attribute the COPD to?

I just went to the BVA site to see if I could find any COPD claims granted or denied on a similar basis.

This denial sounds exactly like your claim:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/files5/1636998.txt

Is it your claim? probably just a coincidence --------

But if so are you trying to ropen the claim?

I haven’t filed a claim yet, trying to get a doctor to diagnose asbestosis. I live in a rural area and they don’t have any experience with asbestosis.

Haag a pulmonary function test yesterday and I lost 20% lung function since my last PFT in2014 so I’m Down to 60%. 

Just need to find someone to read my films that knows what they are looking at, I’ve compared my CT scans and x-rays with positive asbestosis images on line and the indicators are all there.

thanks for your input