VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to use 'Intent to File' for more than 1 future claim?

Rate this question

VN-Vet

Question

Hey Guys - I need to know if it is possible to file an 'Intent to File' and then submit multiple claims?

When I first started to file a few years back I was told just a letter stating that you would be filing for multiple claims for service connected disabilities, connected to conditions to, but not limited to,  disabilities,related to Agent Orange, back, injuries, scars, and more, would suffice for a year while you prepared your claim.

The was I read the info sheet on the new 'Intent to File' (21-0966), it looks like it is good for only your 'next' claim - and going by the VA example, it looks like you have to then file a claim before you can submit another 'Intent to File'.

This really doesn't make sense, and I would think there was a way to save the date for multiple claims - but in reading the forum it does not appear so, or at least I haven't looked in the right place yet.

So if possible, how do we file an 'Intent to File' for multiple claims?

https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/ITF.pdf

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The ITF form does not list a particular disability, such as PTSD, arthritis, etc.  It is a GENERAL form, and when you do file, you can request compensation for multiple disabilities, as applicable.  

You need only specify with THE ITF whether its pension, compensation, or DIC.  

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0966-ARE.pdf

Thanks broncovet,

Are you saying I can or should 'list' all the conditions I may file for on the ITF? Or, that I should file multiple ITFs, 1 for each issue?

I read somewhere, I think here, that someone filed an ITF, for then gathered his info and while doing so found something else to file for that needed more documentation, then made his claim on the initial condition he filed the ITF, and was then only awarded back to the time of the second ITF filed.

Kind of confusing to me - and below are the examples the VA uses.

For example: VA receives an intent to file for compensation benefits on April 1, 2015, an application for compensation benefits (i.e., VA Form 526EZ, Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits) on August 1, 2015, and another application for compensation benefits on January 1, 2016. In this case, VA will consider an effective date of April 1, 2015, the date VA received the intent to file, for any benefits awarded as a result of the August 1, 2015 application. However, the April 1, 2015 intent to file date will not be used for any benefits awarded as a result of the January 1, 2016 application.

Consider the same circumstances as above, but a second intent to file for compensation benefits is received on October 1, 2015. In this case, VA will consider an effective date of April 1, 2015, the date we received the intent to file, for any benefits awarded as a result of the August 1, 2015 application. VA will also consider an effective of October 1, 2015 for any benefits awarded as a result of the January 1, 2016 application.

taken from:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/ITF.pdf 

The ITF form states:

IMPORTANT: After receiving this form, VA will give you the appropriate application to file for the general benefit you select above. You can also apply for VA disability compensation online through eBenefits at www.ebenefits.va.gov. If you give VA a completed application for the selected general benefit within one year of filing this form, your completed application will be considered filed as of the date of receipt of this form. Only the first completed application for each selected general benefit that is received after you file this form will be considered filed as of the date of receipt of this form. You may indicate your intent to file for more than one general benefit on this form or you may submit a separate intent to file for each general benefit. Please complete as many fields in Section II as possible. VA cannot process this form if we cannot identify the claimant and veteran.

The way I read this, it means that you can do either..file an ITF for each, or one ITF can be used.  Yours is actually a very good question.  

VA LOOOOVES to confuse Veterans, so they can "loose out" on benefits.  The ITF itself is confusing.  Why would you not just "file" rather than "intent to file"??  Personally, I  dont use ITF, I use the following form:

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526ez-ARE.pdf

You can file up to 20 disabilities on that form.  For me, the ITF is useless.  Are they gonna have an Intent to file an ITF form?? 

Still, the ITF can be useful in some circumstances.  The only one I can think of is if you are still in the military to get the paperwork started.  Others may chime in here, but I dont use the ITF, and consider it an annoyance.  

Hey broncovet, Thanks for the nudge. 

Unless someone who knows for sure shares their wisdom, I'll call the VA and ask. I would rather email them somehow so I have something in writing - I'll have to search to see if that is possible.

The uncertainty has me stymied for now.

I also do not see any reference on the VA site on how I thought dates were calculated. I had thought until now, that the VA only used months in a calculation, whereas, as long as something was filed by the end of the month, you were able to claim the whole month. Now I am perceiving that the  VA uses exact dates. Anyone know for sure? But I digress.

You see what I see - the form states: "You may indicate your intent to file for more than one general benefit on this form or you may submit a separate intent to file for each general benefit".

I am now concerned that  means 1 or more of the Benefits listed below.

Benefits:             
Dependency and Indemnity Compensation Benefits for Survivors and Dependents            Pension Benefits for Veterans   
Pension Benefits for Survivors   
Education Benefits for Veterans
Home Loan Benefits for Servicemembers and Veterans 
Home Loan Benefits for Survivors            
Life Insurance Benefits for Servicemembers, Veterans, and Survivors

I hope this is wrong - but I would have thought it would we worded more clearly otherwise - such as the form can be used to as notice you intend to file multiple disability  or compensation claims in the next year.

If you can only use 1 ITF per claim, and that claim has to be decided before you file another ITF again - then that removes the ability to preserve a date while you build your claims on multiple disabilities at the same time. That doesn't seem fair and not what I was told just a few years ago - correct me if I misunderstood this in the first place.

• HadIt.com Elder

you should be able to file each ITF Claim separate on e benefit's. 

for each condition your claiming...as long as you submit the ITF Claim button for each condition...the hard part is you need to remember to file for these claims within a year , so mark your calendar and be sure you know what claims you just sent in for a ITF. 

this is when you send in your evidence and perfect your claim.  and get that EED.

Example  ITF a claim for hearing loss...hit that ITF BUTTON for hearing loss.

Then for another condition say for PTSD  hit that ITF Button for that

and so on.

VA will gather all these conditions up and appoint a R.O. to work them. you will probably be sent out C&P Exams and if you have  an exam on a date you have other exams  then you need to let the VA Know this so they can reschedule.