VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

allan46131

Question

I was inadvertently discharged from VA hospital (no discharge orders) before being seen by a neurologist. I had a defibrillator upgrade prior to this. I was having  horrific headaches all night and the doctor ask for a neurologist  to see me for possible stroke. I was sent home and returned back to emergency room where i had had a stroke. I lost sight in my left eye .

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Sounds like a 'possible 'malpractice case.....

can you clarify this:

"I was inadvertently discharged from VA hospital (no discharge orders) before being seen by a neurologist."

Was there any record that you were in the VA Hospital? Is it possible they forgot to give you a discharge certificate?

"neurologist"---A VA Neurologist?I had a defibrillator upgrade prior to this. I was having  horrific headaches all night and the doctor ask for a neurologist  to see me for possible stroke. I was sent home and returned back to emergency room where i had had a stroke. I lost sight in my left eye .

Was 'the doctor" a VA doctor asking for a VA neurologist?

After you went home but returned to the ER was this a VA ER?

My dead husband had an 1151 100% P & T stroke.

1151 and FTCA issues need two things:

Absolute documented proof of  VA malpractice- believe me it always has a paper trail in VA medical records....

and Absolute documented proof of an additional disability that resulted from the malpractice.

Do you have a complete copy f your VA medical records, to include records of all above?

"I was inadvertently discharged from VA hospital"-was that because they thought you would be seen by a neurologist? There could be a record of that in your med recs.

My husband was discharged from a local VA ER.That discharge certificate  became one of the important documents I had for my FTCA and 1151 case.

It also provided the EED for my AO IHD death claim.

We have plenty of info here in our FTCA/1151 forum.

If you need a private independent medical opinion to see if there was malpractice , are you willing to pay for that?

You might not need an IMO/IME but you do need copies of those medical records.

Was the stroke hemmoraigic i nature or from ischemia?

Was VA treating you for HBP?

Edited by Berta

Maybe I should clarify myself-

Was the stroke due to a bleed in your brain? Or was it due to atherosclerosis and heart ischemia?

The brain CT or MRI they did to diagnose stroke would reveal what type of stroke it was.

"I had a defibrillator upgrade prior to this."      How long before the stroke occurred?

"I was having  horrific headaches all night and the doctor ask for a neurologist  to see me for possible stroke."

At that point ,it appears the VA was trying to do the right thing....I wonder if the defibrilator upgrade caused the stroke.........

sorry one more question-

Why did they have to do an upgrade to the defib? Was it faulty?

Was a VA electrophysiologist consulted?

I went into Indianapolis, VA hospital for an upgrade (1 wire to 3 wires) in my defibrillator. The next morning the dr came in and i was still asleep so he put orders in for a VA neurologist to see me for my headaches and he would check me when he did his rounds. when he returned i was already discharged home without seeing the neurologist. n his notes they say "patient was inadvertently discharge and he did not know how this happened. I returned back to VA hospital and had an ischemic stroke. The stroke occurred some 10 hours after the implantation of defibrillator.

You need to obtain an Independent medical opinion-

It sounds like they discharged you way too soon....

you can Google for any Cardio doctors who do independent medical Exams/Opinions.

They will need copies of ALL of your medical records to include that note from the doctor--- make sure they know of it.

You also might try to google some VA malpractice lawyers on the net and tell them exactly what you posted here above, as to the note and the stroke.

Tell the lawyer ( some have an email for reviewing cases,) and by all means send them a link to this thread as to the post where I replied with info on the lawsuits against ST Jude Medical (Abbott) and VA's relationship to them.

I don't know where your other thread is.

It pays to keep everything in One thread....

Only an independent doctor can determine whether the VA malpracticed in your case, or not.

Edited by Berta