VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

my case is perplexing, normal?

Rate this question

burnedoutvet

Question

So in service I had an event that I mentally blocked out but was recorded, was seeing the base mental health and was under the care of a military psych and a therapist. my work performance deteriorated, I couldn't meet my PT times even though I was healthy and fit.

but during the end of my service and my honorable discharge for "failure to meet standards" I was in mental health, I reported sexual harassment and assault, was put on 2 different antidepressants  and prescribed benzos for anxiety. So I get discharged and I get nothing, I had to leave all my stuff at the base. So I file for social security and they find that I was disabled and unable to work the same month I got discharged? SO bam SSDI....I applied at the va and they rated me 70% for mental later that year....then I went to VocRehab people told me due to my SSDI and my condition(s) It wouldn't be possible to go about finding a job or even start school...so I apply for TDIU and it gets denied....then I email alison hickney for help and I get approved for 70% IU P&T for mental and backdated to discharge date. 

like, is this normal?

also I didn't become "bipolar" until I was put on antidepressants, then to combat the bipolar VA put on anti-psychotics...but the original problem was anxiety....which I'm sure it is PTSD related to MST. Like these diagnosis and pills have been destroying my mind. My VA psych prescribes meds that interact with my migraine medications...like I just don't trust the VA

I see my fight for SMC as I have all the evidence, but the white house hotline doesn't care, Alison Hickney is gone. I feel so alone. Like the stress..

I'm 100% for mental. I'm pending for migraines from 30% to 50% and I have a handful of 10% rated stuff.

Edited by burnedoutvet

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Keep fighting, Im fighting for the same thing.  If my logic is correct, and you are not working, then you will be "unable to leave your premises FOR WORK

Refer to Howell vs Nicholson, as explained by Alex in his awesome post:

https://asknod.org/2014/08/25/cavc-howell-v-nicholson-what-smc-s-really-says/

The Secretary, citing to Senate Report No. 1745 (June 27, 1960), notes that in passing section 1114(s) Congress intended to provide additional compensation for veterans who were unable to overcome their particular disabilities and leave the house in order to earn an income as opposed to an inability to leave the house at all.

Its incredible, to me, how VA can award you TDIU on one hand, then say you are not "housebound" by the above defination of "housebound".  

I share your frustration, the VA did that to me, also, and Im in appeals on that very issue.  Howell is a precedent setting case, not some guy making stuff up.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetquest

Alison Hinkey use to be the VA Under Secretary of benefits and a lot of veterans could email her office personally and request she check on their claim status and get help with the process of their claims

We have had many Hadit members to email her and get fast favorable results.

She was also a  Retired  US Air Force Brigadier  General. 

since she has resigned and not sure what she does now? but as for as I know she was well respected by most Veterans and a very compassionate lady.

We lost Good benefits manager when she left

Edited by Buck52

I replied to your other recent post under  different topic.

Bradley V. Peake might help you- as my other post shows.

Can you scan and attach here the denial for SMC you received?( Cover your C file#, name, address, prior to scanning it)

@burnedoutvet One perspective of you synopsis. Now that you collect SSDI - you are eligible for Medicare at the 24 month mark and no longer need to rely on the VA - exclusively for your medical care. 

I use Tricare - Medicare - as primary,  I go to all of my VA appointments -  update my meds though the secure link - share medical info with doctors. 

in essence using Tricare/ Medicare as my primary and VA as secondary without stating this to my PCP at the VA. 

No, it sounds like someone did you a big favor when you emailed Alison Hickney.  Who is this exactly?

You say you were approved for 70% IU P&T and then later you say you are 100% PTSD.  Was this something that changed?

As far as not trusting the VA you are not alone.  They almost killed me with medication once.  Are you actually bipolar or is this something that can be fixed by taking the right medications?  Anti-psychotics are not fun drugs to take.  If your VA psych prescribes medication that interacts with your migraine medicine have you informed them of this?

It sounds like your fight for SMC is going to start like the rest of us have fought for our benefits, hurry up and wait, maybe years. 

You are not alone.  There are some good people here and many veterans that have had the same feeling of loneliness.  Hang in there are people here will help you out.

What is are your current ratings?