VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Tax not truly 100% exempted

Rate this question

marine0816

Question

Just found out that my 100% property Tax is not truly exempt. I Have to pay $1200 a year for 10 years for some BS County school excise tax for new construction homes. Any other state/county Claim’s exemption for PT veterans but the fine print has them paying additional money? I also pay $100 a year  for an environment waste fee, which I heared is standard.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

marine 0816

what state do you live in?

I know in Texas we get a total property & school tax exemption.

However if the Veteran buys a home after April 1st  he is required to pay full property & school tax for the remaining year  then in Jan of the next year he can homestead the property & get his total tax exemption and request a application from the county tax assessor for the tax $$ paid the year before.

why they don't just give the exemption right away is beyond me ? maybe they want to collect the tax and hope the Veteran don't know he can file an application and ask for his paid taxes be reimbursed.

It depends on State ,County and even Town tax laws.I suggest you call your County Veterans Service Agency to see what types of exemptions they might know of.

I live in a small Town. Many years ago someone brought this up at a Town Board Meeting. Then a few vets contacted me and the 4 of us went to a few Town meetings to see if they could get exemptions, which the Town Board voted in.

I didn't realise however that they also voted in widows of vets exemptions as well, and I get two of them.

If I were you I would check around with any AL Posts or  your local tax 0ffice  or a county office because there might be a exemption you dont know about or maybe they should start the ball rolling on providing some.

About 2 weeks ago one of the vets at those meetings called me to tell me he had never gotten the exemption and "after all, you and me and xxx and yyy fought for this 20 years ago."

I reminded him that we didnt have to 'fight' at all, and the Town Board had already done some research into what other towns were doing for their vets  regarding their property tax bill.We just showed up in support of a potential exemption law.

I also reminded him that he apparenty never had applied for the benefit for 20 years and got him the application to fill out. It isn't retro. 

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree with Ms berta

check with your local tax assessor office in the county you live in.

for some states it varies between the county and city as to what the exemptions are/

I know before this benefit was passed   a 100% vet in Texas  or say the county I was living in at the time  offered a reduction in the amount of property taxes owed.   it helped but not as much a sthe full property /school tax exemption.

I think this is a great benefit  it not only helps not paying taxes but it reduces your mortgage payment considerably.

My neighbors use to get mad at me & I never tell them about this benefit  for that reason but its a public record and they can look your name address up and find out your exempt from property tax...so it's a good policy to just keep this benefit to yourself.  

As stated above each state is different. I too live in Texas and am 100% exempt, only way I can afford my $500k home by the lake. I dont have to pay the 25k in taxes and with good credit, I only pay $1500 a month mortgage. Thank God for the few tax breaks I get here in Texas, including the DV Truck Plates which save a few bucks as well. Sorry to hear your state has the freaking Loop Holes that I am so tired of hearing Vets inform us about. Awful that the VA and Govt always talks about how they do this and do that for Vets, when in the end, there are always hidden fees. Good luck and sorry bud. God Bless to all

Michigan also grants the property tax waiver to the vet or surviving spouse...however, as others have said, there are fees that are not exempted.  I pay $109 for a drainage fee over the next several years. It is billed on the tax bill once a year and is paid out of my mortgage escrow.

You might be able to increase your escrow withholding to pay it if you would prefer that. My mortgage company said no I couldn't do that..but when the "tax bill" went to them, they paid it and have incorporated it into the amount of my payment for taxes and insurance.  Most of us already have escrow being collected out of our payment for insurance so it doesn't need to be set up from scratch.