VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I file for hypersomnia?

Rate this question

Fearless

Question

I recently had a sleep study done through my insurance; I was diagnosed with hypersomnia (diagnosis code G47.10). Neither OSA nor narcolepsy was observed in this test. The doctor opined that the hypersomnia was caused by my depression (which is service connected).

Last year the VA gave me a sleep study test, and I was diagnosed with OSA. I am not service connected, but this is a pending appeal.

Would filing a claim for hypersomnia hurt my appeal for OSA  if I were to use this test as evidence?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

yes it can be filed secondary to depression & other rationals that caused the depression ...check the rating criteria on this , how much is it ratable?

because if you use a CPAP.  If you have a diagnosis of sleep apnea and the sleep apnea is found to have been caused by the Depression you would have a basis for a separate rating for sleep apnea, but not for hypersomnia due to Depression.

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I second what Buck recommended.

Below is the rating criteria. This will give you an idea of the kind of rating you could get if SC for SA or hypersomnia (about the same as hypersomnolence).

§4.97   Schedule of ratings—respiratory system

6847   Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):  
Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy 100
Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine 50
Persistent day-time hypersomnolence 30
Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing 0