VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

AndrewC

Question

This is not a question but a post on my RAMP journey since not much data is out there. 

On the 1st of February I received in the mail the option to opt into RAMP for my legacy appeal.  
Based on the goal of 120 days, this should be done if the goal is met by June, 1st, 2018.
If average was counted from the average time for completion starting at when the VA processed RAMP, the estimation of completion was on/around April 6-16th.

On February 8th I opted in to the Higher Level Review with the informal conference option selected through my attorney.  
I made that decision based on 

• My appeal had already been pending for over 4 years with not a single status update after my NOD was accepted.  Even though I do have a lawyer.
  • The Higher Level Review appeal option (OPT-in only) is allowing the evidence submitted since the original appeal.
    (NOTE: Future Higher Level Reviews will only be a second look and will not allow new evidence. Only evidence submitted during the legacy appeal is accepted.)
  • RAMP has a low participation rate, with presumably dedicated assets.  

First Milestone: On February 28th of 2018 my RAMP Opt in was finally processed and my legacy appeal was closed out.  

*The RAMP appeal did not show up on ebenefits but did show up on vets.gov along with a warning about my appeal being denied for RAMP because it was already slotted for the BVA.  
On follow-up with the VA I was told this was an error caused by RAMP not really fitting into the software/application of the online portals and that the only way to get information about the RAMP appeal was through an agent.  The BVA error has since stopped appearing and now vets.gov simple says "Your legacy appeal has been closed because you opted into RAMP, at this time it is unknown when this will be completed" 

Second Milestone: On May 2nd of 2018 my informal conference was scheduled for the 15th of May.  Roughly 45 days after the VA processed my RAMP opt in.

On May 15th we had the informal call.

My lawyer brought up many of the issues being contended.  
IE:  Upper and Lower Back Injury cant be by VA law a single rating.
IE: Documented Hearing Loss
IE: Migraines (Personal Doc did a DBQ and a VA Neurologist offered a Nexus statement)
IE: Acquired Psychiatric Conditions. 
& That the VA had committed some duty to assist errors for a few other conditions.

The Higher Level Reviewer agreed with much of what the lawyer said and said he could work with that and thought he could separate out the rating for the back and grant a higher rating for the upper back then the current rating before separation . He said he saw all over my file that the VA was treating me for PTSD and MDD and their was a nexus opinion from the VA to service connect.   He said he could do the hearing loss too since i kept my service records that showed the in-service hearing loss.  The migraines he thought he could work with too.  The call went well and the lawyer was cautiously optimistic but still completely mistrustful. 

On 5/21/2018 I was told on a call with the VA that he had sent his decision for authorization.  

As of 6/7/2018  no further news and whenever I contact the VA i'm given the generic "Your VA Ramp Appeal has been assigned to a Higher Level Reviewer" and i'm not getting anymore answers.

Edited by AndrewC
updating

On May 15th we had the informal call.

My lawyer brought up many of the issues being contended.  
IE:  Upper and Lower Back Injury cant be by VA law a single rating.
IE: Documented Hearing Loss
IE: Migraines (Personal Doc did a DBQ and a VA Neurologist offered a Nexus statement)
IE: Acquired Psychiatric Conditions. 
& That the VA had committed some duty to assist errors for a few other conditions.

The Higher Level Reviewer agreed with much of what the lawyer said and said he could work with that and thought he could separate out the rating for the back and grant a higher rating for the upper back then the current rating before separation . He said he saw all over my file that the VA was treating me for PTSD and MDD and their was a nexus opinion from the VA to service connect.   He said he could do the hearing loss too since i kept my service records that showed the in-service hearing loss.  The migraines he thought he could work with too.  The call went well and the lawyer was cautiously optimistic but still completely mistrustful. 

On 5/21/2018 I was told on a call with the VA that he had sent his decision for authorization.  

As of 6/7/2018  no further news and whenever I contact the VA i'm given the generic "Your VA Ramp Appeal has been assigned to a Higher Level Reviewer" and i'm not getting anymore answers.