VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Functional capacity evaluation test! Help!!!

Rate this question

silverdollar22

Question

I have a question for you guys. I recently asked my PCP for a FPE(Functional Capacity Evaluation) for my job because I have come to the point where I can’t take the pain anymore (been doing my job for 20 years now). I was sent to a civilian occupational therapist where they do workmens comp claims and auto accident claims. They did their test and when I got the results it says that According to my job requirements I can’t do it anymore. I got the results today and don’t know what to do with the results. I am 56 now and 80% . Should I be thinking of TDIU or not turn it in to work because they might lay me off! I have a dilemma!!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Before you do anything..you need to prove your total ''Functional Capacity'' was caused from your military service?...before you file a claim for it!

Need more information.???

Beings that your 80% S.C. You know the drill/process of filing claims.

What are you S.C at 80% for??

There may be a secondary condition to one or more of your Already S.C. Conditions? (need more information)

You may want to take that letter the OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST wrote that you quoted....> to SSA. (Social Security Admin) file for SSDI... it takes a while to get it.

You Quoted

''They did their test and when I got the results it says that According to my job requirements I can’t do it anymore.'' file for SSDI.

If your working now?   you will be denied for the TDIU..You can't be working when you file for the IU.

you can either file for a secondary condition related to what your S.C. for or file a New Claim for whatever condition your meaning here (Total Functional Capacity) And add your rationale as to why.

So, if your approved for the SSDI then that will  help your VA Claim,  if you choose to file a new VA claim for this new condition that keeps you from working.

keep in mind if its not RELATED to or CAUSED by your prior military service  it will be difficult to claim, unless you can prove its secondary to one or more of your S.C. Condition you have now & Qualified Drs  will need to give there expert opinion in detail.

But we need more information as to what you Functional Capacity Is? 

Other  Members Please chime in.

Edited by Buck52

I’m rated at 50% PTSD/depression, 20% bilateral for nerve pain legs, 10% bilateral knees, 10% HBP, 20% back 

yes im still trying to work but keep getting into it with people! Been suspended twice within the last 6 months and asked for this test because I hurt to much to keep going and maybe get transferred to an easier job with less people and less stress. 

The test says in conclusion; Client demonstrated the ability to perform medium Physical Demand Level work based on FCE testing. The client demonstrated consistent effort, but with a high pain focus. Comparison of a job description from————- for a service technician reveals the client does not meet the requirements for his job. 

The question that pops up in my mind is; will the VA try to retrain me if this is the only job I’ve had since I got out of the military in 95? Seeing that my age is 56 and my conditions will only get worse especially my mental conditions. I kind of think that I don’t really have a chance with SSDI but might have a chance with TDIU.

Soooooooooo, you're 56 and currently employed by the same employer for a considerable length of time. What type of work do you do? How long have you been Rated PTSD SC 50%? A New PTSD C & P could quite possibly get the 50% Reduced to 30%, be very careful.

You're in search of an IU Rating, but still employed, correct? The VA doesn't use what you think/feel your Future Disability/Employment situation is going to be, it's all about today.

At first glance, I'd say you don't currently qualify, regardless of what you think/feel your MH or Pain situation is. Psychiatrists, both VA and private believe PTSD is treatable and symptoms will lessen with time and continuity of MH care.  Do you believe you're currently unable to do "ANY TYPE" of Sedentary (Desk, Walmart Greeter) work that would provide Earned Income in excess of $12.400 (VA SGI for Vet under 65) per year?

Consider filing an application with the VA Vocational Rehabilitation "VR" Dept via your E-Ben Site. In a couple weeks you'll get your 1st appointment. If the VRC were to agree that your current VA SC conditions preclude you from successfully completing the VR Program, that would be the Evidence that could make or Break an IU Claim.

@silverdollar22 The gang above is giving you great advice. I was qualified and administered FCE's  - as a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA)  through "Work Steps" - program,  the conclusion statement is a positive for retraining- this may hinder ssdi claim.

I completed Voc Rehab at age 59 , before awarded IU the same month I graduated with a B.S. degree. It can be done at the associate level or job training programs for a variety of skills. 

Pain can be managed or minimized with meds/ compensatory techniques - such as a flexible work schedule. 

according to SSA.gov for SSDI - (Social Security Disability)  the wait time is 4 months. - Mine took 2 months,  with a consistent work history. - must have 10 quarters to apply for SSDI ( sounds like you do) 

Best regards

I’m a golf cart mechanic. I’ve been rated 50% for about 4 years and have gotten worse to the point where I just started seeing a specialized psychologist every two weeks to try to figure out what is causing my anxiety and anger issues. Yes I still see my psychiatrist and he keeps adjusting my medication. About being employed right now, all I have to do is to turn in my results from this test and then they would have to find me another position but with my past suspensions I am sure they will let me go!! My problems won’t let me stand or sit for any length of time. Can’t pick up over 10lbs. I’m just trying to figure things out before I turn this in to HR.