VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ar - Arkansas Veterans Benefits

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• In Memoriam

My Great-Great Grand dad and two of his brother walked through Arkansas when they were in the Alabama 18th. Reg. I mean literally walk all the way from Alabama to a place called Pee Ridge up here in NW Arkansas. One of the brothers ended up in a place called Andersonville as a POW.

I have lived here for the last 5 years. It ain't too bad. You are right it is very beautiful here. I am just now getting use to what Winters are. I lived in California from birth to 55 years old.

• HadIt.com Elder
My Great-Great Grand dad and two of his brother walked through Arkansas when they were in the Alabama 18th. Reg. I mean literally walk all the way from Alabama to a place called Pee Ridge up here in NW Arkansas. One of the brothers ended up in a place called Andersonville as a POW.

I have lived here for the last 5 years. It ain't too bad. You are right it is very beautiful here. I am just now getting use to what Winters are. I lived in California from birth to 55 years old.

You moved a long way from the ocean, Stretch...

Arkansas, during the Civil War... That boggles the mind. Although I have never been to Andersonville. It's on my list. I understand they have an interesting State park, site, memorial and museum there... I have always been interested in family history. I had heard stories when I was a child, however it wasn't until the advent of the Internet, could I attempt to truly trace my family tree. I learned that I had family members, who fought for the North and others that fought for the South. I believe that I have traced my ancestors back to our beginnings in Europe.

I enjoyed my walk through Arkansas. I really got to appreciate the state and the people. I was involved in a walk-a-thon type project. We crossed south west to north east, Thru Texarkanna to the Wall in D.C., about 22 years ago.

Edited by Commander Bob

• In Memoriam

Yep, a long way from the Ocean. Land locked here that is for sure, but the Arkansas does honor Navy Vets as well as all other services.

The hardest thing to get use too here is when a young man opens a door for you. I look around to see if someone important is there before I figure out he is opening the door for me.

It just isn't this way in California, were neighborhood dogs eat dogs.

It is great to find out family information now-a-days.

There was a prison right here in Fayetteville Arkansas, that was for Civil War women. Seems that feading there husbands and family men was agains the law and a serious crime. Many of these women died in prison. You can imagine the rest.

This new internet age is one of the reasons that there are so many Vets claims, now. I found people through the internet, that were with me in service that were able to testify about my claims, that I had given up hope for finding years ago.

These guys are scattered all over the country, and many of the state have a multitude of names that are the same. I did cold calling on each an everyone of them until I found them. I could have never done this years ago.

• HadIt.com Elder
Yep, a long way from the Ocean. Land locked here that is for sure, but the Arkansas does honor Navy Vets as well as all other services.

The hardest thing to get use too here is when a young man opens a door for you. I look around to see if someone important is there before I figure out he is opening the door for me.

It just isn't this way in California, were neighborhood dogs eat dogs.

It is great to find out family information now-a-days.

There was a prison right here in Fayetteville Arkansas, that was for Civil War women. Seems that feading there husbands and family men was agains the law and a serious crime. Many of these women died in prison. You can imagine the rest.

This new internet age is one of the reasons that there are so many Vets claims, now. I found people through the internet, that were with me in service that were able to testify about my claims, that I had given up hope for finding years ago.

These guys are scattered all over the country, and many of the state have a multitude of names that are the same. I did cold calling on each an everyone of them until I found them. I could have never done this years ago.

All my folks that were here in this country (some came over from the old country since the Civil War), but, the ones that were here during the Civil War were ALL Confederates (to the point to where, one of my Grandaddy's brothers was named General Joe Shelby M****** (GreatGrandpappy was enthralled with lots of names fer his kids, they all had FOUR names, i.e., James Robert Marion M*****, etc.). Anyway, GreatGrandpappy, who served under General Joe Shelby (who was the LAST general officer of the Confederacy to surrender) always said that, when the War of Northern Aggression was over, that the State of Arkansas gave all their returning soldiers a reward for their service, and a way in which to make a living...................they gave 'em a shovel. :D