VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ar - Arkansas Veterans Benefits

• HadIt.com Elder

Opening the door for you. A couple of days ago a young man walked past me and opened the door for me. Gave me a real nice smile and I smiled back and thanked him. I have always felt that when someone shows you a courtesy you should honor them.

Later on when my son took me to the Framers Market Store a young lady, very pretty by the way,opened and held the door open for me. I was so thrilled I almost wet myself.

I was brought up old school and I always open and close doors when allowed to do so.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
Opening the door for you. A couple of days ago a young man walked past me and opened the door for me. Gave me a real nice smile and I smiled back and thanked him. I have always felt that when someone shows you a courtesy you should honor them.

Later on when my son took me to the Framers Market Store a young lady, very pretty by the way,opened and held the door open for me. I was so thrilled I almost wet myself.

I was brought up old school and I always open and close doors when allowed to do so.

Pete, not only was I brought up "old school", I was brought up "old world", as in we didn't speak English at home. Now, can you imagine such a thing? But, seriously, English is not my "first" language, it's not even my "second" language........I didn't even learn to speak English until I started school. But, I was taught that, first of ALL, you honored your Father and Mother, you OBEYED (with OUT questions), and you loved your GOD, your FAMILY, your COUNTRY, and your NEIGHBORS. In that order.

I have a 40 year old son, a 37 year old daughter and a 26 year old son. They ALL call me "sir" when answering me (like in "YES, SIR" or "NO, SIR" and their mothers are Yes Mam and No Mam. And I do not know nor do I care if any of them even know my first name. If I'd ever have called my Father by his first name, I would have had to try and figger out what the license plate on that truck that just hit me, was (BTW, he was Golden Glove middleweight champ of the Pacific Fleet 1938 '39 and '40.....OUCH!).

Thank You, I Beg Your Pardon, By You Leave.........good words to know, in any language.

Oh, and one other, "Thank You G-d and Bless You". :D

• In Memoriam

That is the way that I was brought up also. My mom was born here in NW Arkansas. After getting over the shock of this fellow opening the door I realized that I had to say thanks. I am just not use to that situation.

I have always opened the door for ladies, people who have had their arms full, handicapped persons, or just anyone, if I was closer to the door, but for some reason ladies started looking at me in a demeaning way..to downright insulting and hostile, for opening the door for them within the last couple Decades in Calif., as if I had slandered them.

I went to the Catfish house in Goshen Arkansas, last night with my sister that is visiting here. I hardly ever go out to eat. This place is really out of the way. My sister's boyfriend was driving and I told him to really drive slow on this last road going in, as there are deer all over the place and they could wreck his car. I no more said it when two jump right over a barbed wire fence, hidden in brush, right in front of us. There was a whole pack of them in the field next to the road.

We didn't even have to wait after we got there although the place was packed. There are one of those raised butane heaters lit on the porch just in case you do have to wait. The guy at the counter shakes your hand on the way in and on the way out.

This place has bluegrass music playing in the back ground and is really heavy country ambiance. Fried ocra, sweet corn, corn fritters, catfish, chicken, country deserts like banana pudding with manilla waffers, and all the other country food laid out in smorgasborg style. Go back as many times as you want.

My sister and her boyfriend went back twice and filled up again, it was that good. On the way out I noticed there was a Bible, open to Acts, on a center part of the counter. There were few couples that were talking, while waiting to pay that opened up for me to step in, like I was family or something, and just kept right on with his story. The guy said he was on his tractor yesterday and that if you would have flicked his ear it would-a-broke clean-off without any blood. We all just stood there laughing. It got down to 32 yesterday.

Guess all I am trying to say is that Arkansas seems to be lost in time, a good time, that had been lost many years ago where I came from. I don't guess I will ever get use to it.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I believe that Mississippi provided the largest number of wooden legs to confederates of any state. I don't know why. My Great, Great Grandpa was a confederate from Georgia. He went deaf in the war. He got absolutely nothing since Georgia was a basket case for decades after the war. Returning rebs were considered as traitors and treated like that by occupation troops in the deep south. My Grandpa's farm was right in the path of Sherman's march. They were completely impoverished as were blacks. He did not own slaves. He was a poor farmer. He got nothing from that war except permanent deafness. Stone deaf at the age of 20.

• HadIt.com Elder
My Grandpa's farm was right in the path of Sherman's march. They were completely impoverished as were blacks. He did not own slaves. He was a poor farmer. He got nothing from that war except permanent deafness. Stone deaf at the age of 20.

Although we have drifted away from the original topic of this "Veterans benefits state & federal" thread , I wanted to post this, without losing the Arkansas thread on the forum page.

While searching for Arkansas vets benefits history, I came across this VA link. "History of the Department of Veterans Affairs" Sorry for the fork in the stream. http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/history/history1.asp

Edited by Commander Bob

• 4 weeks later...