VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Silent Heart Attack

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete they talked me into getting that pnuemonia shot five or six years ago, never again in my life will I let them give me that shot, and I passed on the flu shot this year to. I hope the docs have told you to take at minimum a bayer baby aspirin every day for your heart, it's the easiest for thinning the blood. Peter for me sleeping was and still is hard, because waking up is one of the hardest things your body does every day, the mere fact waking up is a stressful thing for a person with heart problems, you should also after eating be sitting still as your stomach pulls more blood in to the system to digest your food it takes about 45 minutes before they recommend walking or any type of physical activity. Be pro-active on your treatment it is your body.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to have and electro cardigram this morning to get in a Diabetic Health Study that will pay be $ 1,045 and give me free meds and testing equipment. My ECT came back with a note of previous MI or Heart Attack. I called my Medicare HMO Doc and they are going to see me at 9:45 AM tomorrow and I also had called the VA and much to my surprise they made me an appointment to take labs and see a Doctor for 10:45 Friday.

I guess I will learn more except I was told that diabetics have what is called a silent heart attack?

I've had several heart attacks and 2 open heart surgeries. During the 2nd operation they cut a nerve (intercostal neurolgia) which I have to use a durogesic patch for pain. Surgery if it can be avoided I think would be a good thing.

B)

• 2 weeks later...
I went to the VA yesterday and had blood tests and another EKG. The gatekeeper Doc prescribed me another med for blood ressure but after spending the day I asked for it to be mailed. I also got a flu shot and the one for pnemonia and my arm hurts like hell. The Doc scheduled me to see a shrink oh boy.And I am also going to have a stress test and possibly other tests.

What really bugs me the most is if I had not taken a pro active stance on trying to deal with this I would still be sitting at home fat dumb and happy.

Now for the real bummer for me at least. I have seen three Docs in less than 10 days and the only one who thinks I should follow up is my VA Docotr. We know for certain that my heart attack happened more than 2 weeks ago but less than 6.

Just at this time with all the anxiety and stress they want me to take something besides Xanax. I had a sleeping panic attack this morning to top it off.

Pete, My dad had Diabetes. He had 3 Silent heart attacks. If you have diabetes, Then a silent heart attack is Highly possible. The Diabetic Neuropathy may have hid the symptoms. I have 1 question, Did any of your arms hurt for any unknown reason in the last 6 weeks.

• HadIt.com Elder
Pete, My dad had Diabetes. He had 3 Silent heart attacks. If you have diabetes, Then a silent heart attack is Highly possible. The Diabetic Neuropathy may have hid the symptoms. I have 1 question, Did any of your arms hurt for any unknown reason in the last 6 weeks.

Yes my arm did ache and if it happens again I am going to the hospital.

To all you guys with heart problems, please take care of yourself, and if you can tell something is not right in your body go to the doctor, I know you can not always know when it is happening , but take care of yourself and have test done on a regular basis. I know the fear it puts in you, my husband had a 100%block and they said he just made it for help to get to him because he would have died in another10 minutes. Take you meds. and don't miss them, by husband was and still afraid every time he gets shortness of breath. He also has copd, Just wanted you all to know everyone cares, and it is normal to be a lillte bit afraid after going through what you all have experienced. Mary&Greg

Everyone please do not overlook this information. A person with Diabetes and Hypertension is at a Risk for these silent heart attacks. My Father had 3 of these heart attacks during his lifetime. At 60 he had one and he felt pain in the left arm. He ignored it and went about his buisness. He finally went to a hospital but refused treatment. Later that afternoon, He collapsed and my brother in law carried him to the Emergency Room and he was airlifted to a Coronary trauma unit. The Heart attack shut down his Kidneys and he went into septic shock. After 3 weeks he came out of Coma and had a 4 valve bypass.. He survived but the heart attack had already done its damage, 1 year later he went into renal failure and was put on home dialysis. This was very dificult for Him and My mother. Finally he received a Kidney transplant. 3 days after surgury he was feeling OK until he became strangled. The hospital had put a feeding tube in the wrong place and he again became septic. He passed 2 weeks later. The Hospital tried in vain to save him and even started pouring fluids into his body. It was a very depressing site looking at him that way. He entered the Hospital at 140 lbs and left over 350 Lbs. Fluid. They had to prepare him wrapped in plastic and we had a closed coffin funeral. I pray no one has to endure that type of situation. He was only 61 years old.