VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Won! I Won! After A Four Year And Five Day Battle!

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

On November 2, 2009, I won the first ever VA claim for Agent Orange exposure, "inside the Continental United States." The claim was granted for Chloracne, Diabetes and Heart Disease with ICD implant, as due to Agent Orange exposure at Fort Gordon GA., in the years 1967-1969. You will be able to read the Board Of Veterans Appeals detailed decision along with the supporting evidence at WWW.va.gov in a couple of months when it is posted. From the web site choose Board of Veterans Appeals, then click on Decisions. Next type in the search box Docket No.08-11 937.

Due to the AICD implant, Class 3 CHF and a LVEF of 25% there should be a 100% P&T award.

Other than a $15.00 Medicare copay, here and there, no money was spent on an IMO, so take heart, you don't have to be rich to win!

James M. Cripps,

Vietnam Veterans OF America Tennessee Agent Orange Committee Chairman.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

James:

Congrats, what an achievement and I wonder how many told you that you could not win.

I can't prove it but I think I am the first to get Panic Disorder/with Agoraphobia for 100% P&T in 1996.

Pete

WOW_ James-

I will email you later- have some questions---this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

VA WAtchdog would love to know if this award too I am sure

Berta

• HadIt.com Elder
On November 2, 2009, I won the first ever VA claim for Agent Orange exposure, "inside the Continental United States." The claim was granted for Chloracne, Diabetes and Heart Disease with ICD implant, as due to Agent Orange exposure at Fort Gordon GA., in the years 1967-1969. You will be able to read the Board Of Veterans Appeals detailed decision along with the supporting evidence at WWW.va.gov in a couple of months when it is posted. From the web site choose Board of Veterans Appeals, then click on Decisions. Next type in the search box Docket No.08-11 937.

Due to the AICD implant, Class 3 CHF and a LVEF of 25% there should be a 100% P&T award.

Other than a $15.00 Medicare copay, here and there, no money was spent on an IMO, so take heart, you don't have to be rich to win!

James M. Cripps,

Vietnam Veterans OF America Tennessee Agent Orange Committee Chairman.

I remember when your story appeared in the Augusta Chronicle since I used to live in Augusta and was stationed at Fort Gordon back in the days, I am glad that the BVA saw the light and didn't deny the claim I got by BVA award on April 7 2009 and the RO did not issue the award letter until June 4 2009 with the money in the bank the following date, I believe your heart issues were granted to your AO exposure as a result of Sec Shinseki just issuing the ruling making ischemic heart disease presumptive to AO, your award is the first known award anywhere issued let alone the states where the heart problems were granted due to AO exposure I have a feeling the BVA Judge took that new ruling into consideration when he granted all of your issues, a month ago there had been no SC to heart disease related to Agent Orange period.

The "Ranch Hand study" had ignored cardiac issues altogether since the early 60s when the Air Force started keeping data on AO and the crews associated with dispersing AO over Vietnam and other places. Many of us know that the Ranch Hand study was ignoring many issues that should have been addressed decades ago.

This is a tremendous precedent and maybe it will help other non Vietnam veterans decide to refile or to file new claims for AO exposure in places other than Vietnam, we know it was used at many bases other than Fort Gordon, they used it at Elgin AFB, Edgewood Arsenal, Fort Greeley Alaska, Fort Ord, etc the list goes on it was used heavily in Panama in the canal zone around the bases and training areas.

Congratulation to you and your family on your victory, take some time to enjoy it and put some aside for a rainy day, don't forget to sign up for the free 10,000 in life insurance when the paperwork comes. You need to also see what kind of property tax breaks the state will give you on your home and autos each state is different, here in South Carolina I pay no taxes on my home and 2 vehicles and they will give my son a full scholarship to any state university of his choosing that is a great benefit and he can still get his Chapter 35 benefits from tne VA on top of it.

What a win winning a claim everyone told you was impossible to win and then doing it, makes your feel vindicated I am sure, my claim was similar everyone told me to drop it, that I would never get my heart disease SC, I went thru a bunch of different Service organizations and bad SOs that refused to file the claim the way I wanted, they either refused or wanted to start with just a 10% hypertension claim. BS go for it from the start and don't back down, I am glad to see you didn't either you are a champion in my books

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/11/5/71828/7133?new=true I posted this on the Daily Kos many veterans read and post there, even the sites owner Markos is an Army veteran.

Edited by Testvet

• HadIt.com Elder
James..

Congratulations. 4 years and 5 days is pretty fast for the VA, since many Vets claims takes much longer.

I agree my claim started in October 2002 and finally awarded on 7 April 2009 6 1/2 years and that is quicker than a few of them here some have waited 10 years and longer before the claim was awarded by the CAVC.