VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Md On Service Illness

Rate this question

john6012

Question

A doctor I knew while in the military sent me a letter that states, "I had a degree of inappropriateness and lack of professional decorum, experiencing paranoid ideation and emotional upheavel ranging from joyfullness and elation to dispair accompanied by uncontrollable weeping at work and at home. It is my professional opinion that the individual has a long-standing history of somewhat debilitating clinical depression, manifested by a degree of paranoid ideation and bipolar features with significant mood fluctuations which interferred with his job performance. Unfortunately, due to the intense work atmosphere, the individual was neither identified as being impaired, nor was he properly treated for symptoms of his disorder. As a result, his judgement was degraded at times he was required to perform effectively in a highly important and taxing position. There is no doubt in my mind that the work environment contributed adversely to the individual's psychological condition.

In retrospect, I render the following minimal diagnosis: Clinical depression with paranoid and bipolar features.

I sent the letter to the regiuonal VA office with a short cover letter indicating I would like to reopen my rating file. My question is, is the letter adequate for them to take action and what would be the potential outcome? Do I need to take a letter to the C&P exam and hand it to the examiner? Thanks in advance, John

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A doctor I knew while in the military sent me a letter that states, "I had a degree of inappropriateness and lack of professional decorum, experiencing paranoid ideation and emotional upheavel ranging from joyfullness and elation to dispair accompanied by uncontrollable weeping at work and at home. It is my professional opinion that the individual has a long-standing history of somewhat debilitating clinical depression, manifested by a degree of paranoid ideation and bipolar features with significant mood fluctuations which interferred with his job performance. Unfortunately, due to the intense work atmosphere, the individual was neither identified as being impaired, nor was he properly treated for symptoms of his disorder. As a result, his judgement was degraded at times he was required to perform effectively in a highly important and taxing position. There is no doubt in my mind that the work environment contributed adversely to the individual's psychological condition.

In retrospect, I render the following minimal diagnosis: Clinical depression with paranoid and bipolar features.

I sent the letter to the regiuonal VA office with a short cover letter indicating I would like to reopen my rating file. My question is, is the letter adequate for them to take action and what would be the potential outcome? Do I need to take a letter to the C&P exam and hand it to the examiner? Thanks in advance, John

I neglected to mention in the original post that I have been on Zoloft for 3-4 years and mood altering medications, the most recent is Temazepam which I can't take as it's highly addictive.

• HadIt.com Elder

John,

I would take a date stamped copy with you to your C&P. Be sure that you have everything date stamped by the VA and only give them a copy.

Josephine

John,

I would take a date stamped copy with you to your C&P. Be sure that you have everything date stamped by the VA and only give them a copy.

Josephine

I only sent the VA a copy of the letter, keeping the original. I worked at the VA hospital for many years and heard of a vet bringing his dd fm 214 in and wanting the clerk to make a copy for his records., The clerk took the 214 and left for the xerox machine. Many, many minutes later (around 45 minutes) the clerk returned. The vet, sitting in the waiting room went to the counter and asked the clerk if she'd made a copy. The clerk responded "Oh my gosh". She'd been off visiting and laid the 214 down "somewhere" and it was never found.

True story.

• HadIt.com Elder
I only sent the VA a copy of the letter, keeping the original. I worked at the VA hospital for many years and heard of a vet bringing his dd fm 214 in and wanting the clerk to make a copy for his records., The clerk took the 214 and left for the xerox machine. Many, many minutes later (around 45 minutes) the clerk returned. The vet, sitting in the waiting room went to the counter and asked the clerk if she'd made a copy. The clerk responded "Oh my gosh". She'd been off visiting and laid the 214 down "somewhere" and it was never found.

True story.

John,

Good! I knew the VA was horrible for losing everything. It is getting terrible. The more that I read on this site, the more I am aware of their tactics.

Have a good one!!

Josephine

John,

Good! I knew the VA was horrible for losing everything. It is getting terrible. The more that I read on this site, the more I am aware of their tactics.

Have a good one!!

Josephine

So, in your opinion, if I have nothing in my military medical record, will a letter from an MD who knew me in the military suffice for s/c if I have had symptoms treated by the VA for the past several years?